For introductory courses in Animal Science and World Agriculture
Introduction to Animal Science: Global, Biological, Social and Industry Perspectives, 4e features the most comprehensive, up-to-date coverage of the traditional disciplines that are so essential to a solid foundation in Animal Science: nutrition, digestion, feeds, genetics, reproduction, disease, and animal behavior. Species-focused chapters include the major species (horse, dairy cattle, beef cattle, sheep, goat, poultry, and swine) and the minor species (aquaculture, pets/companion animals, the lamoids, and rabbits).
The study of modern Animal Science also requires a comprehensive, non-traditional approach that effectively introduces the discipline as an ever-changing and integral part of every aspect of human existence. For this reason, author W. Stephen Damron not only presents thorough coverage of the major species and their respective concerns, he challenges students to consider the many pressing interests relevant to Animal Science as it influences and is influenced by society today.
Table of Contents
PART I: THE PLACE OF ANIMALS AND ANIMAL SCIENCE IN THE LIVES OF HUMANS
1. Introduction to Animal Science
2. The Value of Animals to Mankind
3. Factors Affecting World Agricultural Structure
4. Worldwide Systems of Agricultural Production
PART II: THE BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES OF ANIMAL SCIENCE
5. Introduction to Nutrition
6. The Gastrointestinal Tract and Nutrition
7. Feedstuffs Classification
9. Animal Breeding
10. Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering
11. Animal Reproduction
13. Animal Behavior
14. Animal Health
PART III: THE ANIMAL INDUSTRIES
15. Vertical Integration Comparison: Beef, Pork and Poultry
16. Beef Cattle
17. Dairy Cattle
20. Sheep and Goats
23. Pet and Companion Animals
PART IV: ANIMALS AND SOCIETY
26. Careers and Career Preparation in Animal Science
27. Animals as Consumers of Grain: Asset or Liability?
28. Food Safety and Consumer Concers
29. Animal Welfare and Animal Rights
30. Animals in Sustainable Agriculture
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$72.60 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-501797-5