Introduction to Law, Fifth Edition, teaches students the basic legal concepts related to substantive and procedural law, introduces them to cases, statutes, and the constitution, and develops their legal vocabulary and analytical skills. The text’s teaching and learning package includes an Instructor’s Manual, PowerPoint Slides, and Test Bank, as well as study resources for students through a companion website.
Teaching and Learning Experience:
- Provides an overview of the legal system, an introduction to substantive and procedural law, and the opportunity to develop a strong legal vocabulary, while keeping students’ interest
- Explains the application of legal principles through the inclusion of interesting cases and the wide use of common hypothetical cases
- Helps students build analytical and critical thinking skills through thought-provoking exercises, assignments, and features
Table of Contents
PART ONE: THE LEGAL SYSTEM
1. Introduction to Law
2. The U.S. Legal System
3. The Courts and Legal Personnel
4. Finding the Law: Legal Research
5. Using the Law: Analysis and Legal Writing
PART TWO: LEGAL PRINCIPLES
6. Constitutional Law
7. Tort Law
8. Family Law
9. Estate Planning: Wills, Trusts, and Probate
10. Contract and Property Law
11. The Law of Agency, Business Organizations, and Bankruptcy
12. Civil Procedure Before Trial
13. Alternative Dispute Resolution
14. Criminal Practice: Criminal Law and Juvenile Law
15. Criminal Procedure Before Trial
16. Rules of Evidence
17. The Trial
Appendix I: The United States Constitution
Appendix II: Law-Related Careers, the Paralegal Profession, and the Law Office
Appendix III: Mock Trial
Appendix IV: Basic Legal Citation Reference Guide
Appendix V: Ass'n for Molecular Pathology v. Myriad Genetics, Inc
Appendix VI: Federal Rules of Evidence
Appendix VII: Supplemental Court Decisions
Appendix VIII: Creating Research Strategies
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users