Introduction to MATLAB is intended for use in first-year or introductory Engineering courses. It also serves as an essential MATLAB introduction for engineers.
Best-selling author Delores Etter provides an up-to-date introduction to MATLAB. Using a consistent five-step problem-solving methodology, Etter describes the computational and visualization capabilities of MATLAB and illustrates the problem solving process through a variety of engineering examples and applications.
Teaching and Learning Experience
This program will provide a better teaching and learning experience–for you and your students. It will help:
- Customize your Course with ESource: Instructors can adopt this title as is, or use the ESource website to select the chapters they need, in the sequence they want.
- Present a Consistent Methodology for Solving Engineering Problems: Chapter 1 introduces a five-step process for solving engineering problems using the computer
- Describe the Exceptional Computational and Visualization Capabilities of MATLAB: Students will gain a clear understanding of how to use MATLAB.
- Illustrate the Problem-solving Process through a Variety of Engineering Examples and Applications: Numerous examples emphasize the creation of readable and simple solutions to develop and reinforce problem-solving skills.
- Keep your Course Current with Discussion of the Latest Technologies: The discussions, screen captures, examples, and problem solutions have been updated to reflect MATLAB Version 8.2, R2013b.
Table of Contents
1 • AN INTRODUCTION TO ENGINEERING PROBLEM SOLVING 1
Engineering Achievements 1
1.1 Engineering Environment 1
1.2 Engineering Computing and MATLAB 2
1.3 An Engineering Problem-Solving Methodology 7
2 • GETTING STARTED WITH MATLAB 16
Engineering Achievement: Wind Tunnels 16
2.1 Introduction to MATLAB and MATLAB Windows 16
2.2 Simple Operations 24
2.3 Output Options 39
2.4 Saving Your Work 44
3 • MATLAB FUNCTIONS 56
Engineering Achievement:Weather Prediction 56
3.1 Introduction to Functions 56
3.2 Elementary Mathematical Functions 59
3.3 Trigonometric Functions 64
3.4 Data Analysis Functions 68
3.5 Random Number Generating Functions 79
3.6 User-Defined Functions 86
4 • PLOTTING 96
Engineering Achievement: Ocean Dynamics 96
4.1 x-y Plots 96
4.2 Three-Dimensional Plots 118
4.3 Editing Plots from the Menu Bar 123
4.4 Creating Plots from the Workspace Window 125
5 • CONTROL STRUCTURES 130
Engineering Achievement: Signal Processing 130
5.1 Relational and Logical Operators 130
5.2 Selection Structures 133
5.3 Loops 144
6 • MATRIX COMPUTATIONS 152
Engineering Achievement: Manned Space Flight 152
6.1 Special Matrices 152
6.2 Matrix Operations and Functions 158
6.3 Solutions to Systems of Linear Equations 169
7 • SYMBOLIC MATHEMATICS 179
Engineering Achievement: Geolocation 179
7.1 Symbolic Algebra 179
7.2 Equation Solving 185
7.3 Differentiation and Integration 191
8 • NUMERICAL TECHNIQUES 197
Engineering Achievement: Dynamic Fluid Flow 197
8.1 Interpolation 197
8.2 Curve Fitting: Linear and Polynomial Regression 206
8.3 Using the Interactive Fitting Tool 214
8.4 Numerical Integration 218
8.5 Numerical Differentiation 221
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$31.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-377012-4