In this succinct, yet comprehensive book, leading authority James A. Banks gives readers a forward-reaching look toward increasing their understanding of what multicultural education means for classroom teaching in contemporary classrooms. Here he explores the concepts, principles, theories, and practices of multicultural education in such key areas as: the goals and misconceptions of multicultural education; citizenship education and diversity in a global age; curriculum transformation; curriculum reform; and, school reform and intergroup education. Included are checklists for evaluating informational materials and evaluating multicultural education. An Introduction to Multicultural Education is ideal for pre-service and practicing educators who require a concrete approach but have little time to devote to the topic.
Table of Contents
1 Goals and Misconceptions
2 Citizenship Education and Diversity in a Global Age
3 Dimensions and School Characteristics
4 Curriculum Transformation
5 Knowledge Construction and Curriculum Reform
6 Knowledge Components
7 Teaching with Powerful Ideas
8 School Reform and Intergroup Education
9 Multicultural Benchmarks
Appendix A: Learning in and Out of School in Diverse Environments
Appendix B: Checklist for Evaluating Informational Materials
Appendix C: A Multicultural Education Evaluation Checklist
Appendix D: A Multicultural Education Basic Library
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$33.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-315584-6