The best-selling case-based text, Introduction to Teaching: Becoming a Professional, sharpens its focus on issues in education in its Fifth Edition. Weaving this focus throughout every chapter with new features and chapter sections covering diversity, reform, urban education, and technology, the text ensures that prospective teachers gather all the needed information to create an up-to-date picture of the ever changing face of education. The authors take this information and bring it to life with cases, classroom examples and videos, again ensuring that the living, changing, challenging and fulfilling life of an educator is as clear as it can be.
Video-Enhanced Pearson eText. Included in this package is access to the new Video-Enhanced eText for Introduction to Teaching, exclusively from Pearson. The Video-Enhanced Pearson eText is:
- Engaging. Full-color online chapters include dynamic videos that show what course concepts look like in real classrooms, model good teaching practice, and expand upon chapter concepts. Over 30 video links, chosen by our authors and other subject-matter experts, are embedded right in context of the content you are reading
- Convenient. Enjoy instant online access from your computer or download the Pearson eText App to read on or offline on your iPad and Android tablets.*
- Interactive. Features include embedded video, note taking and sharing, highlighting and search.
- Affordable. Experience all these advantages of the Video-Enhanced eText along with all the benefits of print for 40% to 50% less than a print bound book.
*The Pearson eText App is available for free on Google Play and in the App Store.* Requires Android OS 3.1 — 4, a 7” or 10” tablet or iPad iOS 5.0 or newer
Table of Contents
Part 1: Teachers and Students
1. Do I want to Be a Teacher?
2. Changes in American Society: Their Influences on Today’s Students
3. Student Diversity: Culture, Language, Gender, and Exceptionalities
Part 2: Foundations
4. Education in the United States: Its Historical Roots
5. Educational Philosophy and Your Teaching
6. Choosing a School
7. Governance and Finance: Regulating and Funding Schools
8. School Law: Ethical and Legal Influences on Teaching
Part 3: Teaching
9. The School Curriculum in an Era of Standards
10. Classroom Management: Creating Productive Learning Environments
11. Becoming an Effective Teacher
Part 4: Entering the Profession
12. Educational Reform and You
13. Developing as a Professional