A Literary, Historical, and Contemporary Perspective of the Bible
Introduction to the Bible approaches the Bible by considering it from three different viewpoints: literary, historical, and contemporary. This unique approach underscores the dynamics of each view and the methods scholars have developed to study them.
Additionally, the authors are especially careful to distinguish the historical and literary 'viewpoints' for students new to the discipline; encouraging them to consider and discuss the contemporary significance of the Bible.
Teaching and Learning Experience
Improve Critical Thinking - Introduction to the Bible provides an analysis of the role of the Bible in contemporary American culture; stimulates students' awareness of Biblical thought through suggested readings related to contemporary ethical issues; shows the relevance of religious thought; and helps students examine their assumptions, discern hidden values, evaluate evidence, assess their conclusions, and more!
Engage Students - Introduction to the Bible encourages thoughtful discussion and reflection of contents — including biblical controversies — through chapter summaries, case studies, maps and charts.
Support Instructors - Teaching your course just got easier! You can create a Customized Text or use our Instructor’s Manual, or PowerPoint Presentation Slides. Plus, Introduction to the Bible provides an annotated list of movies and documentary films related to the Bible, and information on how to obtain them for classroom use.
Table of Contents
PART ONE: Introduction
Chapter 1 The Three Worlds of the Bible: An Orientation 1
Chapter 2 Preparing for the Journey: An Orientation to the Methods of Biblical Study
PART TWO: The Torah
Chapter 3 Origins: The Book of Genesis 67
Chapter 4 Covenant: Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and
PART THREE: Prophets
Chapter 5 The Nation Israel: Joshua, Judges, First and Second Samuel, First and Second Kings (The Former Prophets) 109
Chapter 6 Covenant Advocates: The Prophets of Ancient Israel (The Latter Prophets) 137
PART FOUR: The Writings
Chapter 7 Israel’s Sacred Songs: Psalms, Song of Songs, and Lamentations (The Writings I) 163
Chapter 8 The Way of Wisdom: Proverbs, Job, Ecclesiastes (The Writings II) 179
Chapter 9 The Rest of the Writings: Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Ruth, Esther, and Daniel
PART FIVE: After the Tanak
Chapter 10 Jewish Life and Literature (200 B.C.E - 100 C.E.) 213
PART SIX: The Gospels
Chapter 11 Jesus of Nazereth 239
Chapter 12 The Four Gospels: Mark, Matthew, Luke, and John 261
PART SEVEN: The Acts of the Apostles
Chapter 13 The Birth of Christianity: The Acts of the Apostles 289
PART EIGHT: Letters
Chapter 14 Paul: Apostle to the Gentiles—The Letters of Paul 307
Chapter 15 The Growing Church: The Pastoral and General Epistles, Hebrews, and the Revelation to John 329
PART NINE: Conclusion
Chapter 16 Journey On! 357
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
$51.99 | Buy Access
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$55.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-89303-4