The Akst/Bragg series’ success is built around clear and concise writing, a side-by-side “teach by example” approach, and integrated applications throughout that help you achieve a conceptual understanding. The user-friendly design offers a distinctive side-by-side format that pairs examples and their solutions with corresponding practice exercises. You understand from the very beginning that doing math is an essential part of learning it. Motivational, real-world applications demonstrate how integral mathematical understanding is to a variety of disciplines, careers, and everyday situations.
Table of Contents
R. Prealgebra Review
R.1 Exponents and Order of Operations
R.2 Factors, Primes, and Least Common Multiples
R.5 Percent Conversions
1. Introduction to Real Numbers and Algebraic Expression
1.1 Real Numbers
1.2 Addition of Real Numbers
1.3 Subtraction of Real Numbers
1.4 Multiplication of Real Numbers
1.5 Division of Real Numbers
1.6 Algebraic Expressions, Translations, and Exponents
1.7 Evaluating Algebraic Expressions and Formulas
1. 8 Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
2. Solving Linear Equations and Inequalities
2.1 Solving Linear Equations: The Addition Property
2.2 Solving Linear Equations: The Multiplication Property
2.3 Solving Linear Equations by Combining Properties
2.4 Solving Literal Equations and Formulas
2.5 Solving Equations Involving Percent
2.6 Solving Linear Inequalities
3. Graphing Linear Equations and Inequalities in Two Variables
3.1 Introduction to Graphing
3.3 Linear Equations and Their Graphs
3.4 More on Linear Equations and Their Graphs
3.5 Linear Inequalities and Their Graphs
4. Solving Systems of Linear Equations
4.1 Introduction to Systems of Linear Equations: Solving by Graphing
4.2 Solving Systems of Linear Equations by Substitution
4.3 Solving Systems of Linear Equations by Elimination
4.4 Solving Systems of Linear Inequalities
5. Exponents and Polynomials
5.1 Laws of Exponents
5.2 More Laws of Exponents and Scientific Notation
5.3 Basic Concepts of Polynomials
5.4 Addition and Subtraction of Polynomials
5.5 Multiplication of Polynomials
5.6 Special Products
5.7 Division of Polynomials
6. Factoring Polynomials
6.1 Common Factoring and Factoring by Grouping
6.2 Factoring Trinomials Whose Leading Coefficient is 1
6.3 Factoring Trinomials Whose Leading Coefficient is Not 1
6.4 Factoring Perfect Square Trinomials, the Difference of Squares, and the Sum and Difference of Cubes
6.5 Solving Quadratic Equations by Factoring
7. Rational Expressions and Equations
7.1 Rational Expressions
7.2 Multiplication and Division of Rational Expressions
7.3 Addition and Subtraction of Rational Expressions
7.4 Complex Rational Expressions
7.5 Solving Rational Equations
7.6 Ratio and Proportion
8.1 Introduction to Functions
8.2 The Algebra of Functions and Inverse Functions
9. Radical Expressions, Functions, and Equations
9.1 Radical Expressions and Functions
9.2 Rational Exponents
9.3 Simplifying Radical Expressions
9.4 Addition and Subtraction of Radical Expressions
9.5 Multiplication and Division of Radical Expressions
9.6 Solving Radical Equations
9.7 Complex Numbers
10. Quadratic Equations, Functions, and Inequalities
10.1 Solving Quadratic Equations: The Square Root Property of Equality; Completing the Square
10.2 Solving Quadratic Equations: The Quadratic Formula
10.3 More on Quadratic Equations
10.4 Graphing Quadratic Functions
10.5 Solving Quadratic and Rational Inequalities
11. Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
11.1 Exponential Functions
11.2 Logarithmic Functions
11.3 Properties of Logarithms
11.4 Common Logarithms, Natural Logarithms, and Change of Base
11.5 Exponential and Logarithmic Equations
12. Conic Sections
12.1 Introduction to Conics; The Parabola
12.2 The Circle
12.3 The Ellipse and the Hyperbola
12.4 Solving Nonlinear Systems of Equations
12.5 Solving Nonlinear Inequalities and Nonlinear Systems of Inequalities
A. Table of Symbols
B. Introduction to Graphing Calculators
C. Review of Introductory Algebra
D. Basic Geometry (Online-only)
D.1 Introduction to Basic Geometry
D.2 Perimeter and Circumference
D.5 SImilar Triangles
D.6 Square Roots and the Pythagorean Theorem
E. Solving Compound Inequalities
F. Solving Absolute Value Equations and Inequalities
G. Systems of Linear Equations in Three Variables
H. Solving Systems of Linear Equations by Using Matrices
I. Determinants and Cramer’s Rule
J. Synthetic Division
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
$44.20 | Add to Cart
$48.60 | Add to Cart
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$103.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-87136-7
$60.50 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-87135-0
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$95.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-91345-6
Alternative Options ?
Click on the titles below to learn more about these options.
$134.48 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-92225-0
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$159.33 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-85284-7