Leading medical genetics scholar Moyra Smith reviews current and recent work in genetics and genomics to assess progress in understanding human variation and the pathogenesis of common and rare diseases in which genetics plays a role. Smith provides an exceptional overview of the most important biomedical progress arising from the greatly increased genetic information base generated by gene mapping and the sequencing of the complete Human Genome.
This book addresses into a wide spectrum of topics associated with human genetics and genomics, including:
- Human origins; migrations and human population diversity gained though genomic analyses.
- The complexities of psychiatric diseases that are influenced by genetics.
- The pathogenesis of late-onset neurological diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinsonism, and ALS.
- Key aspects of protein misfolding.
- Gene-environment interactions in DNA damage and repair and DNA instability.
- Micro RNAs and mRNA translation.
- New functions for old enzymes in cancer.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Genome Architecture and Sequence Variation in Health and Disease 1
Chapter 2 Genes and Transcripts: Insight into Regulation at Different Levels 23
Chapter 3 Epigenetics: Modifications of DNA, Chromatin, and Gene Expression 37
Chapter 4 Gene Environment Interactions 53
Chapter 5 Pathways, Phenotypes, and Phenocopies 67
Chapter 6 Dynamic Function, Synaptic Activity, and Plasticity 81
Chapter 7 Late Onset Neurodegenerative Diseases 101
Chapter 8 Genes and Genomes in Cancer: Targeted Therapies 131
Chapter 9 Functional Genomics: Personalized Medicine and Therapeutics 153
About the Author 203
Format: eBook (Watermarked)?
This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUBThe open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
MOBIThe eBook format compatible with the Amazon Kindle and Amazon Kindle applications.
PDFThe popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discretely watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
Includes EPUB, MOBI, and PDF
$49.99Add to Cart