- What do we really know about human nature?
- How do we see what we see, know what we know, feel what we feel?
- How do people come to believe in God?
- Where does empathy come from?
- What are the health benefits of faith?
- Where do you end, and others begin?
- What do marriage, family, and friendship mean?
- How can people repair the broken connections that keep them lonely?
Table of Contents
1 Invisible forces operating on human bodies 1
2 The social nature of humankind 17
3 Science, religion, and a revived religious humanism 35
4 Health by connection: from social brains to resilient bodies 49
5 Psychosomatic relations: from superstition to mortality 61
6 The suspension of individual consciousness and the dissolution of self and other boundaries 73
7 Action at a distance: the invisible force of language 83
8 Hidden forces in understanding others: mirror neurons and neurobiological underpinnings 95
9 Empathy and interpersonal sensitivity 109
10 Seeing invisible minds 121
11 Anthropomorphism: human connection to a universal society 133
12 How does God become real? 145
13 Theological perspectives on God as an invisible force 157
14 Visible efforts to change invisible connections 171
15 Social brain, spiritual medicine? 185
16 Epilogue 197
About the authors 207
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Invisible Forces and Powerful Beliefs: Gravity, Gods, and Minds, CourseSmart eTextbook
Format: Electronic Book
$17.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-301397-9