A down-to-earth approach to contemporary international relations
IR: The New World of International Relations provides students with a direct and down-to-earth understanding of contemporary international relations. This text surveys key events in world history as well as fundamental theoretical concepts to trace the international system’s evolution and to assess its future. Putting the behavior of global actors into more complete context, IR helps students think critically about the challenges faced by the United States in an era of globalization.
ALERT: Before you purchase, check with your instructor or review your course syllabus to ensure that you select the correct ISBN. Several versions of Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products exist for each title, including customized versions for individual schools, and registrations are not transferable. In addition, you may need a CourseID, provided by your instructor, to register for and use Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products.
Access codes for Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products may not be included when purchasing or renting from companies other than Pearson; check with the seller before completing your purchase.
Used or rental books
If you rent or purchase a used book with an access code, the access code may have been redeemed previously and you may have to purchase a new access code.
Access codes that are purchased from sellers other than Pearson carry a higher risk of being either the wrong ISBN or a previously redeemed code. Check with the seller prior to purchase.
Table of Contents
PART I. Approaches to IR
Chapter 1. Power and Systems in Transformation
Chapter 2. IR Theories in a Complex World
PART II. THE COLD WAR COME AND GONE
Chapter 3. America’s Changing National Interests
Chapter 4. Vietnam and the Warping of National Interest
Chapter 5. Russia and Geopolitics
Chapter 6. Can the United States Lead the World?
PART III. THE GLOBAL SOUTH
Chapter 7. From Colonialism to Decolonization
Chapter 8. Eternal Warfare in the Holy Land
Chapter 9. Oil and Turmoil in the Persian Gulf
Chapter 10. Trouble and Hope in Latin America
Chapter 11. Development in Rich and Poor Countries
PART IV. THE ETERNAL THREATS
Chapter 12. The Causes of Interstate Conflict
Chapter 13. The Pursuit of National Security
Chapter 14. The Politics of Nuclear Bombs
Chapter 15. The Challenge of Asymmetrical Conflict
PART V. ECONOMIC BLOCS
Chapter 16. Europe Unifies
Chapter 17. Asia Awakes
Chapter 18. The United States and Globalization
PART VI. THE POLITICS OF A NEW WORLD
Chapter 19. Diplomacy Is Still Alive
Chapter 20. The Uses of International Law
Chapter 21. The Reach of the United Nations
Chapter 22. Finite F.E.W.(Food/Energy/Water)
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
$48.99 | Buy Access
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$87.33 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-99894-4