How digital games can inform, enhance and transform L2 pedagogy
The potential of digital games in the second and foreign (L2) classroom is enormous but harnessing their potential for application in the¿L2 classroom, however, presents complex challenges.¿
In Language at Play: Digital Games in Second and Foreign Language Teaching and Learning, Sykes and Reinhart combine research from a variety of perspectives in applied linguistics, educational gaming, and games studies, and¿structure their¿discussion of five major concepts central to these areas: goal, interaction, feedback, motivation and context.¿¿While theoretically grounded, the volume's audience is¿primarily practicing L2 professionals with classroom experience.
Intended for current and future foreign language teaching professionals, volumes in the Theory and Practice in Second Language Classroom Instruction series examine issues in teaching and learning in language classrooms. The topics selected and the discussions of them draw in principled ways on theory and practice in a range of fields, including second language acquisition, foreign language education, educational policy, language policy, linguistics, and other areas of applied linguistics.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction - Reflecting on purpose and topic
2. Goal - Understanding the importance of activity, task type, and quests
3. Interaction - Examining negotiation, competition, and cooperation
4. Feedback - Developing through fail states and assessment
5. Motivation - Analyzing the significance of engagement and affect
6. Context - Exploring stories, environments, and identities
7. Conclusion - Looking at the future of digital games in language learning
Appendix I. Glossary
Appendix II. Guide to Game Types
Appendix III. Game Evaluation Guide
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$13.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-24666-3