“The acquisition of language is essential to children's cognitive and social development.” From the NAEYC position statement, November 1995.
Readers of this book will receive a solid foundation for understanding language development from birth to age eight. The text supplies a basic overview of phonetics, semantic, syntactic, morphemic, and pragmatic aspects of language knowledge, while also providing practical suggestions for interactions with children and templates for observing and documenting infant and toddler language development. The appendices provide supplementary information on additional readings. The new edition has been extensively revised with coverage of the latest research and hot topics in the field such as:
New To This Edition:
- Updates the section on the role of brain maturation in language development--Provides awareness of the connections between physical, cognitive, and language development.
- Describes the techniques used by researchers to discover the perceptual abilities of infants to distinguish speech sounds and patterns of intonation–This helps students understand the complexities of research with very young children.
- Provides templates for observing and documenting infant and toddler language development in the assessments chapter–This shows practical ways for teachers to begin to systematically observe individual children’s language development.
- Includes guidelines and strategies for interacting with English language learners at each developmental level, providing practical ways in which teachers can enhance language development among ELLs.
- Reviews current research on autism and its connection to early language development.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Language in Our Lives
Chapter 2 Theoretical Perspectives and Contexts of Language Development
Chapter 3 Language Development Among Children of Linguistic Diversity
Chapter 4 Language Development of Infants and Toddlers
Chapter 5 Enhancing Language Development in Infants and Toddlers
Chapter 6 Language Development in Preschoolers
Chapter 7 Enhancing Language Development in Preschoolers
Chapter 8 Language Development in Kindergartners
Chapter 9 Enhancing the Language Development of Kindergartners
Chapter 10 Language Development in the Primary Years
Chapter 11 Enhancing Language Development in the Primary Years
Chapter 12 Language Assessment: Observing, Screening, Diagnosing and Documenting
Chapter 13 Enhancing Language Development Among Children with Communicative Disorders
Chapter 14 Fostering Language Development Through School—Home Connections
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$33.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-501977-1