Legal Research, Analysis, and Writing, Fifth Edition, covers the basics of legal research, analysis, and writing, bringing together all the essential knowledge and tools students need to research and analyze a legal problem and communicate the results in diverse forms of legal memoranda. The text’s teaching and learning resources include an Instructor’s Manual, PowerPoint lecture slides, and Test Bank.
Teaching and Learning Experience:
- Offers fully integrated coverage of legal research, legal analysis and legal writing.
- Provides many highly realistic research and writing exercises, as well as tools designed to help students become more effective writers.
- Features throughout the text help students take away key legal terms, skills, and concepts.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Legal Research, Writing and Analysis
2. The Starting Point: Analyzing Facts and Identifying Legal Issues
3. Finding and Analyzing Case Law
4. How to Read and Summarize a Case
5. Constitutions, Statutes, and Administrative Regulations
6. Statutory and Constitutional Analysis
7. Secondary Sources
9. Validating Your Research: Using Shepards, Keycite and other Citators
10. Computer-Assisted Legal Research (CALR): Lexis, Westlaw, and Bloomberg Law
11. Computer-Assisted Legal Research (CALR): The Freely Accessible Internet
12. Basic Legal Writing Skills
13. The Memorandum of Law: Predictive Legal Writing
14. Writing to the Court: Persuasive Writing
15. Motion Practice: Research and Writing Issues
16. Legal Correspondence
Appendix A: Research Case Files
Appendix B: Research and Writing Problems Based on Short Stated Fact Patterns
Appendix C: Basic Citation Reference Guide
Appendix D: Research Strategies: An Overview
Appendix E: Defendants’ Joint Memorandum of Points and Authorities in Opposition to Plaintiff’s Motion for Preliminary Injunction: Initial Research Memoranda
Appendix F: Appellate Brief
Appendix G: Case Briefing Practice
Appendix H: Supplemental Cases
Appendix I: Answer Key to Test Yourself
Appendix J: U.S. Court System
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$69.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-374140-7