For nonprofits leadership transitions are a time of exceptionally high risk. Here, three internationally-respected experts show how to systematically identify, introduce, support, and monitor leaders in ways that enhance rather than undermine their performance. They explain why leadership transitions are so challenging for nonprofits, and show how to replace chaos and crisis with proven, sustainable leadership transition plans.
Writing for all nonprofit board members, leaders, aspiring leaders, and stakeholders, the authors demonstrate how to:
- Maintain organizational momentum, continuity, and credibility through the transition
- Find leaders who align well with your organizational values and its evolving culture
- Avoid fighting, rumors, accusations, and the common mistakes that derail nonprofit leadership transitions
- Build a sturdy bridge between departing and incoming leaders
- Set appropriate expectations for both boards and leaders, and guide them to complement each other successfully
- Plan succession and continuity for the long-term
- Use transitions to advance the organization’s mission
Table of Contents
Section 1: Leadership and the Challenge of Transition
Chapter 1 What Makes Nonprofit Leadership So Challenging? 29
Chapter 2 Why Transitions Fail 53
Section 2: Fundamentals of Effective Leadership
Chapter 3 Mission, Vision, and Effective Leadership 77
Chapter 4 Leadership and Strategy 95
Chapter 5 Good Governance 109
Chapter 6 Alignment 131
Section 3: Professionalizing the Transition Process
Chapter 7 Creating a Transition Management Plan 151
Chapter 8 Transition Management 175
Chapter 9 Managing the Search Process 191
Chapter 10 Using Interim CEOs During Transition 223
Chapter 11 Introducing the New Leader 235
Section 4: Attending to New Beginnings
Chapter 12 Succession Planning 253
Chapter 13 Leadership Continuity and Long-Term Governance 265
Section 5: Tools
Appendix A Notes on Research and Research Methods 289
Appendix B Sample Leadership Transition Plan 291
Appendix C Sample CEO Job Descriptions 303
Appendix D Sample CEO Evaluation Templates 315
Appendix E Sample Board Evaluation Templates 327
Format: eBook (Watermarked)?
This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUBThe open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
MOBIThe eBook format compatible with the Amazon Kindle and Amazon Kindle applications.
PDFThe popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discreetly watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
Includes EPUB, MOBI, and PDF
$49.99Add to Cart