Pirnot’s Mathematics All Around offers the supportive and clear writing style that you need to develop your math skills. By helping to reduce your math anxiety, Pirnot helps you to understand the use of math in the world around you. You appreciate that the author’s approach is like the help you would receive during your own instructors’ office hours.
Table of Contents
1. Problem Solving
1.1 Problem Solving
1.2 Inductive and Deductive Reasoning
2. Set Theory
2.1 The Language of Sets
2.2 Comparing Sets
2.3 Set Operations
2.4 Survey Problems
2.5 Looking Deeper - Infinite Sets
3.1 Statements, Connectives, and Quantifiers
3.2 Truth Tables
3.3 The Conditional and Biconditional
3.4 Verifying Arguments
3.5 Using Euler Diagrams to Verify Syllogisms
3.6 Looking Deeper - Fuzzy Logic
4. Graph Theory (Networks)
4.1 Graphs, Puzzles, and Map Coloring
4.2 The Traveling Salesperson Problem
4.3 Directed Graphs
5. Numeration Systems
5.1 The Evolution of Numeration Systems
5.2 Place Value Systems
5.3 Calculating in Other Bases
5.4 Looking Deeper - Modular Systems
6. Number Theory and the Real Number System
6.1 Number Theory
6.2 The Integers
6.3 The Rational Numbers
6.4 The Real Number System
6.5 Exponents and Scientific Notation
6.6 Looking Deeper - Sequences
7. Algebraic Models and Linear Systems
7.1 Linear Equations
7.2 Modeling with Linear Equations
7.3 Modeling with Quadratic Equations
7.4 Exponential Equations and Growth
7.5 Proportions and Variations
7.6 Modeling with Systems of Linear Equations and Inequalities
7.7 Looking Deeper - Dynamical Systems
8. Consumer Mathematics
8.1 Percents, Taxes, and Inflation
8.3 Consumer Loans
8.6 Looking Deeper - Annual Percentage Rate
9.1 Lines, Angles, and Circles
9.3 Perimeter and Area
9.4 Volume and Surface Area
9.5 The Metric System and Dimensional Analysis
9.6 Geometric Symmetry and Tessellations
9.7 Looking Deeper - Fractals
10.1 Understanding Apportionment
10.2 The Huntington-Hill Apportionment Principle
10.3 Other Paradoxes and Apportionment Methods
10.4 Looking Deeper - Fair Division
11.1 Voting Methods
11.2 Defects in Voting Methods
11.3 Weighted Voting Systems
11.4 Looking Deeper - The Shapley-Shubik Index
12.1 Introduction to Counting Methods
12.2 The Fundamental Counting Principle
12.3 Permutations and Combinations
12.4 Looking Deeper - Counting and Gambling
13.1 The Basics of Probability Theory
13.2 Complements and Unions of Events
13.3 Conditional Probability and Intersections of Events
13.4 Expected Value
13.5 Looking Deeper - Binomial Experiments
14. Descriptive Statistics
14.1 Organizing and Visualizing Data
14.2 Measures of Central Tendency
14.3 Measures of Dispersion
14.4 The Normal Distribution
14.5 Looking Deeper - Linear Correlation
Appendix A. Basic Mathematics Review
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
$45.60 | Add to Cart
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$99.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-83783-7
$60.50 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-83784-4
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$85.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-91344-9
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$142.67 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-83738-7