For all courses in medical law and/or ethics in programs for nurses, medical assistants, and all allied health care professions.
This is a complete, accessible, and up-to-date guide to the law and ethics of healthcare. Written for health professionals of all kinds — not lawyers — this text covers the full spectrum of topics that affect practice. Fully updated coverage includes: the legal system, professional liability and medical malpractice, physician’s responsibilities, medical records, ethical and bioethical issues, and current regulations. Actual legal cases illuminate subjects ranging from patient confidentiality and abortion to death and dying. Exclusive Med Tips provide quick scenarios and guidance about law and ethics. Each chapter contains glossary terms, exercises, and an actual case; appendices provide current sample codes of ethics.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Medical Law, Ethics, and Bioethics
PART I. THE LEGAL ENVIRONMENT
2. The Legal System
3. Importance of the Legal System for the Physician and the Health Care Professional
PART II. THE HEALTHCARE ENVIRONMENT
4. Today’s Health Care Environment
5. The Physician-Patient Relationship
6. Professional Liability and Medical Malpractice
7. Public Duties of the Physician and the Health Care Professional
8. Workplace Law and Ethics
9. The Medical Record
10. Patient Confidentiality and HIPAA
PART III. MEDICAL ETHICS
10. Ethical and Bioethical Issues in Medicine
11. Ethical Issues Relating to Life
12. Death and Dying
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Medical Law and Ethics, CourseSmart eTextbook, 4th Edition
Format: Safari Book
$30.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-255923-2