This #1 selling non-majors microbiology textbook is praised for its straightforward presentation of complex topics, careful balance of concepts and applications, and proven art that teaches. In its Eleventh Edition, Tortora, Funke, and Case’s Microbiology: An Introduction helps you make the connection between microbiology and human health. This edition continues to incorporate the latest in microbiology research and includes more features designed to engage you and promote critical thinking.
With the complex and extensive information presented in introductory microbiology courses, demonstrating the connections between processes you can’t see with your naked eye and diseases you will encounter in future careers can be challenging. Microbiology: An Introduction guides you through the process of disease diagnosis, aided by the practical application of the new Clinical Cases that are integrated through every textbook chapter.
This package contains:
- Microbiology: An Introduction, Eleventh Edition
Table of Contents
1. The Microbial World and You
2. Chemical Principles
3. Observing Microorganisms Through a Microscope
4. Functional Anatomy of Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Cells
5. Microbial Metabolism
6. Microbial Growth
7. The Control of Microbial Growth
8. Microbial Genetics
9. Biotechnology and Recombinant DNA
II. A SURVEY OF THE MICROBIAL WORLD
10. Classification of Microorganisms
11. The Prokaryotes: Domains Bacteria and Archaea
12. The Eukaryotes: Fungi, Algae, Protozoa, and Helminths
13. Viruses, Viroids, and Prions
III. INTERACTION BETWEEN MICROBE AND HOST
14. Principles of Disease and Epidemiology
15. Microbial Mechanisms of Pathogenicity
16. Innate Immunity: Nonspecific Defenses of the Host
17. Adaptive Immunity: Specific Defenses of the Host
18. Practical Applications of Immunology
19. Disorders Associated with the Immune System
20. Antimicrobial Drugs
IV. MICROORGANISMS AND HUMAN DISEASE
21. Microbial Diseases of the Skin and Eyes
22. Microbial Diseases of the Nervous System
23. Microbial Diseases of the Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems
24. Microbial Diseases of the Respiratory System
25. Microbial Diseases of the Digestive System
26. Microbial Diseases of the Urinary and Reproductive Systems
V. ENVIRONMENTAL AND APPLIED MICROBIOLOGY
27. Environmental Microbiology
28. Applied and Industrial Microbiology
Appendix A: Metabolic Pathways
Appendix B: Exponents, Exponential Notation, Logarithms, and Generation Time
Appendix C: Methods for Taking Clinical Samples
Appendix D: Pronunciation of Scientific Names
Appendix E: Word Roots Used in Microbiology
Appendix F: Classification of Bacteria According to Bergey’s Manual
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
$78.60 | Add to Cart
Format: Alternate Binding
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
We recommend Microbiology: An Introduction, 12th Edition as a replacement.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$95.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-84202-2
$95.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-81144-8
$62.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-82333-5
$62.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-81085-4
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users