This #1 selling non-majors microbiology textbook is praised for its straightforward presentation of complex topics, careful balance of concepts and applications, and proven art that teaches. In its Eleventh Edition, Tortora, Funke, and Case’s Microbiology: An Introduction helps you make the connection between microbiology and human health. This edition continues to incorporate the latest in microbiology research and includes more features designed to engage you and promote critical thinking.
With the complex and extensive information presented in introductory microbiology courses, demonstrating the connections between processes you can’t see with your naked eye and diseases you will encounter in future careers can be challenging. Microbiology: An Introduction guides you through the process of disease diagnosis, aided by the practical application of the new Clinical Cases that are integrated through every textbook chapter.
This package contains:
- Microbiology: An Introduction, Eleventh Edition
Table of Contents
1. The Microbial World and You
2. Chemical Principles
3. Observing Microorganisms Through a Microscope
4. Functional Anatomy of Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Cells
5. Microbial Metabolism
6. Microbial Growth
7. The Control of Microbial Growth
8. Microbial Genetics
9. Biotechnology and Recombinant DNA
II. A SURVEY OF THE MICROBIAL WORLD
10. Classification of Microorganisms
11. The Prokaryotes: Domains Bacteria and Archaea
12. The Eukaryotes: Fungi, Algae, Protozoa, and Helminths
13. Viruses, Viroids, and Prions
III. INTERACTION BETWEEN MICROBE AND HOST
14. Principles of Disease and Epidemiology
15. Microbial Mechanisms of Pathogenicity
16. Innate Immunity: Nonspecific Defenses of the Host
17. Adaptive Immunity: Specific Defenses of the Host
18. Practical Applications of Immunology
19. Disorders Associated with the Immune System
20. Antimicrobial Drugs
IV. MICROORGANISMS AND HUMAN DISEASE
21. Microbial Diseases of the Skin and Eyes
22. Microbial Diseases of the Nervous System
23. Microbial Diseases of the Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems
24. Microbial Diseases of the Respiratory System
25. Microbial Diseases of the Digestive System
26. Microbial Diseases of the Urinary and Reproductive Systems
V. ENVIRONMENTAL AND APPLIED MICROBIOLOGY
27. Environmental Microbiology
28. Applied and Industrial Microbiology
Appendix A: Metabolic Pathways
Appendix B: Exponents, Exponential Notation, Logarithms, and Generation Time
Appendix C: Methods for Taking Clinical Samples
Appendix D: Pronunciation of Scientific Names
Appendix E: Word Roots Used in Microbiology
Appendix F: Classification of Bacteria According to Bergey’s Manual
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
$64.40 | Add to Cart
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Package ISBN-13: 9780321911209
Includes this title packaged with:
- Laboratory Experiments in Microbiology, 10th Edition
Ted R. Johnson, Christine L. Case
$291.40 | Add to Cart
Package ISBN-13: 9780321907677
Includes this title packaged with:
- Study Guide for Microbiology: An Introduction, 11th Edition
Gerard J. Tortora, Berdell R. Funke, Christine L. Case
$236.60 | Add to Cart
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$60.50 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-81085-4
$91.30 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-81144-8
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$78.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-80312-2
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$129.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-79667-7