The title of Annette Daoud’s new resource says it all. This is a book about Middle and High School English Learners and the Common Core Standards: Equitable Instruction in Content Area Classrooms. In it Professor Daoud presents a four-step lesson planning process to help teachers incorporate the Common Core State Standards and the ELD/ELP Standards into lessons, differentiate their instruction based on the English learners’ proficiency levels, and engage students in lessons that are relevant to their lives and to the multicultural world around them. Included are sample lesson plans with assessments, teaching strategies, and student activities for effectively teaching in all content areas, with a focus on English language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies.
Table of Contents
P A R T 1 Introduction and Conceptual Frameworks 1
Chapter 1 Introduction 3
Chapter 2 Conceptual Frameworks and Foundations 13
P A R T 2 Differentiation for English Learners Across the Language Domains 23
Chapter 3 Listening and Speaking Skills 25
Chapter 4 Reading Skills 38
Chapter 5 Writing Skills 52
P A R T 3 Differentiated Instruction in Content Classrooms 67
Chapter 6 English Language Arts 69
Chapter 7 Mathematics 97
Chapter 8 Science 121
Chapter 9 Social Studies 149
P A R T 4 Conclusions and Resources 175
Chapter 10 Conclusions 177
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users