Detailing the latest scientific findings regarding the relationship between the mind and body, this text discusses how attitudes and emotions directly affect physical health and well-being.
Written by an interdisciplinary team of authors, including a professional health educator who is deeply involved in Mind/Body research and is an MD/Internist who specializes in Mind/Body practices, this text details current global findings on the relationship between the mind, body, and health. The authors show that negative emotions such as anger, depression, and anxiety can adversely affect physical health while positive emotions such as humor and optimism can serve to improve health and increase longevity. Relationships between physical health and spirituality, attitude, medicine, and various social factors are explored. The authors stress the importance of health choices and lifestyle factors on overall health and well-being, while laying groundwork for continued research in Mind/Body medicine in the 21st century. New to this edition is the inclusion of critical thinking questions in each chapter, chapter-specific web resources, and streamlined content. CourseSmart textbooks do not include any media or print supplements that come packaged with the bound book.
Table of Contents
I. THE MIND/BODY CONNECTION
1. Psychoneuroimmunology - The Mind/Body Connection
2. Coping With Stress
II. PERSONALITY STYLES AND HEALTH
3. The Disease - Prone Personality
4. Anger, Hostility, and Health
5. Worry, Fear, and Health
6. Depression, Despair, Anxiety, and Health
7. Insomnia and Sleep Deprivation. Health Effects and Treatment
8. The Disease - Resistant Personality
III. SOCIAL SUPPORT AND HEALTH
9. Social support, Relationships, and Health
10. Loneliness and Health
11. Marriage and Health
12. Families and Health
13. Grief, Bereavement, and Health
IV. SPIRITUALITY AND HEALTH
14. The Healing Power of Spirituality, Faith and Religion
15. Forgiveness and Health
16. Altruism and Health
17. The Healing Power of Hope and Optimism
V. PERCEPTION AND HEALTH
18. Explanatory Style and Health
19. Locus of Control, Self Esteem and Health
20. The Healing Power of Humor and Laughter
21. Nutrition and Mind/Body Health
VI. TREATMENT INTERVENTIONS AND HEALTH OUTCOMES
22. Behavioral Medicine Treatment: Effects on Medical and Health Outcomes and Costs 23. Methods of Intervention
Appendix A. The Elements of Human Fulfillment
Appendix B. The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$46.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-69699-1