Models of Teaching: The Heart of the Core gives readers well-developed approaches to teaching, grounded in research and experience and designed to ensure the high levels of learning they are intended to generate. With the goal of providing the strongest positive effect on student achievement while keeping in line with the current emphasis on standards-based education, Models of Teaching pairs rationale and research with real-world examples and applications to provide a strong foundation for future and new educators. The book encompasses all of the major psychological and philosophical approaches to teaching and schooling, includes thoroughly documented research on the various models of teaching and their subsequent positive effects on student success, and gives teachers the tools they need to build strong classrooms that accelerate student learning.
Table of Contents
A Note on Heritage
Part One - Models of Teaching: A Working Professional Repertoire
1. Where Models of Teaching Come From
2. Building the Community of Expert Learners: Taking Advantage of Our Students’ Capacity to Learn (and Ours)
Part Two - The Basic Information-Processing Models of Teaching
3. Learning to Learn Inductively: The Really, Really Basic Model of Teaching
4. Scientific Inquiry: Learning through Investigations
5. The Picture Word Inductive Model: Developing Literacy Through Inquiry
Part Three - Special Purpose Information-Processing Models
6. Concept Attainment : The Explicit Teaching of Important Concepts
7. Synectics: Teaching the Left Brain to Put the Right Side to Work
8.. Memorization: Getting the Facts Straight, Now and for the Long Term
9. Using Advance Organizers to Design Presentations: Scaffolding Lectures, ICT, and Distance Offerings
10. The Inquiry Training Model: Training Inquiry Skills Directly
Part Four - The Social Family of Models of Teaching
11. Partners in Learning: Getting Everybody on Board
12. Group Investigation: Rigorous Inquiry through Democratic Process
13. Role Playing: Studying Values
Part Five - The Personal Family of Models
14. Nondirective Teaching - The Learner at the Center
15. Developing Positive Self-Concepts
Part Six - The Behavioral Family of Models
16. Explicit Instruction: Comprehension When Reading and Composing When Writing
17. Mastery Learning: Bit by Bit, Block by Block, We Climb Our Way to Mastery
18. Direct Instruction: Applied Psychology Goes to Work
Part Seven - The Conditions of Learning, Learning Styles, and Conceptual Levels.
19. Creating Curricula: The Conditions of Learning
20. Expanding Our Horizons: Making Discomfort Productive
Appendix: Peer Coaching Guides
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$71.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-380361-7