For courses in Multicultural Law Enforcement and Special Topics in Policing.
This classic text explains how the influences of culture, race, and ethnicity impact law enforcement and the communities they serve. Known for its breadth of coverage, this book addresses a variety of populations and includes new material on the mentally ill, the homeless, gangs, immigrants, Native Americans, multiracial groups, and cross-cultural communications styles. Using cases, guidelines, and protocols, it focuses on the contact police officers and civilian employees have with the community and stresses the importance of cultural awareness, understanding and respect.
Table of Contents
PART I: IMPACT OF CULTURAL DIVERSITY ON LAW ENFORCEMENT
1. Multicultural Communities: Challenges for Law Enforcement
2. The Changing Law Enforcement Agency: A Microcosm of Society
3. Multicultural Representation in Law Enforcement: Recruitment, Retention, and Promotion
4. Cross-Cultural Communication for Law Enforcement
PART II: CULTURAL SPECIFICS FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT
5. Law Enforcement Contact with Asian/Pacific Americans
6. Law Enforcement Contact with African Americans
7. Law Enforcement Contact with Latino/Hispanic Americans
8. Law Enforcement Contact with Arab Americans and Other Middle Eastern Groups
9. Law Enforcement Contact with Native Americans
PART III: MULTICULTURAL LAW ENFORCEMENT ELEMENTS IN TERRORISM AND DISASTER PREPAREDNESS
10. Multicultural Law Enforcement and Terrorism, Homeland Security and Disaster Preparedness
PART IV: RESPONSE STRATEGIES FOR CRIMES MOTIVATED BY HATE/BIAS AND RACIAL PROFILING
11. Hate/Bias Crimes: Victims, Laws, Investigations, and Prosecutions
12. Hate/Bias Crimes: Reporting, Monitoring, and Response Strategies
13. Racial Profiling
PART V: CULTURAL EFFECTIVENESS FOR PEACE OFFICERS
14. Community Policing and Multicultural Response Strategies for Gangs, the Homeless and the Mentally Ill
15. Emerging Strategies, Roles, and Technology for Peace Officers in Multicultural Law Enforcement
APPENDIX A: MULTICULTURAL COMMUNITY AND WORKFORCE: ATTITUDE ASSESSMENT SURVEY
APPENDIX B: CULTURAL DEVERSITY SURVEY: NEEDS ASSESSMENT
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$39.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-510506-1