Examines Native Americans’ struggles for indigenous rights
Native Nations of North America: An Indigenous Perspective, 1/e, establishes a foundation of knowledge by examining the history of selected North American Natives from their perspective. By exploring the past, readers will better understand the struggles of modern-day indigenous peoples. Author Steven Talbot addresses many of the struggles and achievements for indigenous rights, including the goals of treaty rights, nationhood, and sovereignty.
MySearchLab is a part of the Talbot program. Research and writing tools, including access to academic journals, help students explore Native nations in even greater depth. To provide students with flexibility, students can download the eText to a tablet using the free Pearson eText app.
NOTE: This is the standalone book, if you want the book/access card order the ISBN below:
0205988628 / 9780205988624 Native Nations of North America: An Indigenous Perspective Plus MySearchLab with Pearson eText -- Access Card Package
Package consists of:
0131113895 / 9780131113893 Native Nations of North American: An Indigenous Perspective
0205239927/ 9780205239924 MySearchLab with Pearson eText -- Valuepack Access Card
Table of Contents
BRIEF TABLE OF CONTENTS:
I. INTRODUCTION: THE INDIGENOUS PERSPECTIVE.
II. HIDDEN HERITAGE: THE IROQUOIS AND THE EVOLUTION OF DEMOCRACY.
III. GREED AND GENOCIDE: CALIFORNIA INDIANS AND THE GOLD RUSH.
IV. SPIRITUALITY AND RELIGIOUS FREEDOM: THE LAKOTA AND THE MEANING OF WOUNDED KNEE.
V. RELOCATION AS ETHNIC CLEANSING: THE NAVAJO-HOPI “LAND DISPUTE.”
VI. BIRTH, DEATH, AND RESURRECTION OF AN INDIAN REPUBLIC: THE CHEROKEE NATION OF OKLAHOMA.
VII. CRIMINALIZATION OF THE INDIAN: NORTHWEST FISHING RIGHTS AND THE CASE OF DAVID SOHAPPY.
VIII. INTERNAL COLONIZATION: NATIVE HAWAIIANS AND THE SOVEREIGNTY MOVEMENT.
IX. FIRST NATIONS: CONTEMPORARY INDIGENOUS ISSUES IN CANADA.
X. EXPERIMENT IN “RED” CAPITALISM: OIL V. ALASKA NATIVE SUBSISTENCE RIGHTS.
XI. THE TROUBLE WITH STEREOTYPES: NATIVE NATIONS AND THE URBAN TRADITION.
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$27.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-98849-5