You are unique. You have something very special to offer. So do many other people. But you have a secret weapon: this book. It will teach you how to network—and that’s the one skill that can give you near-perfect equality of opportunity.
80% of America’s job openings are never advertised. Networking can help you get those jobs. Employers need to see you as you really are. Networking lets you show them. Networking gives you contacts to get you in the door and advice from people who’ve been there.
As great networkers know, this isn’t about sucking up or being a phony. It’s about being your best self, creating lifelong connections, and building communities of people who help each other.
One step at a time, this book will help you overcome your doubts and fears, and gain all these powerful benefits. It’s authored by three people who’ve been there—including Dr. Renee Thompson, past Officer of the National Coalition of 100 Black Women. They’ve done it. You can, too—and it’s the #1 key to your success!
Real answers to the networking questions black professionals ask
Real solutions to the networking problems black professionals face
• Why should I spend time networking when I’m already so busy?
• How do I network when I don’t know anyone “important”?
• How can I work with the contacts I already have?
• Who should I try to meet?
• How do I network when I don’t have much work experience yet?
• How do I network with someone I might not like?
• What should I talk about? What shouldn’t I talk about?
• What’s the best way to follow up?
• How do I overcome fears about whether I’m good enough?
• Won’t people just judge me based on the color of my skin?
• How do I ask for help without compromising my self-respect?
• What can I really get out of social networks like LinkedIn or Facebook?
• How do I develop a personal “brand” that works for me?
Table of Contents
What You Will Learn from This Book
Chapter 1 What Is Networking, and Is It Any different for African Americans Than Anyone Else?
Chapter 2 How to Network Effectively
Chapter 3 Giving Yourself Permission
Chapter 4 Creating Connections: The People You Will Need in Your Network
Chapter 5 Characteristics of Great Networkers
Chapter 6 When Networking Doesn't Come Easy: Networking for Introverts
Chapter 7 How to Expand Your Network
Chapter 8 Keeping Your Network Alive and Growing
Chapter 9 Networking Etiquette
Chapter 10 Organizing and Keeping Track of Your Network
Chapter 11 Tying It All Together
Chapter 12 Social Media: Focus on Strategy to Support Your Personal Networking
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
eBook (Watermarked) ?
Includes EPUB, MOBI, and PDF
This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUBThe open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
MOBIThe eBook format compatible with the Amazon Kindle and Amazon Kindle applications.
PDFThe popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discreetly watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
$29.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-376019-4