For all courses in civil litigation processes and procedures.
This fully-updated text is designed to build the skill sets students need to succeed as members of today’s civil litigation teams. It clearly presents legal concepts, emphasizing the details of the litigation process, critical thinking, and hands-on exercises that develop practical law office skills. Students will gain real-world procedural skills, master electronic discovery and court rules; learn how to handle ethical challenges in civil litigation practice; and develop a professional employment portfolio. This edition includes 46 video case studies that illustrate each stage of the litigation process, showing the day-to-day activities of the litigation team preparing and trying a civil case in a real world setting. Extensive assignment-related case materials and documents are provided in the text and online.
This popular national text book has been thoroughly revised by New York practitioner and educator, Robert Sarachan, to reflect local court systems, law, process, and procedure.
Table of Contents
UNIT ONE: INTRODUCTION TO CIVIL LITIGATION
1. The Paralegal in Civil Litigation
2. Technology in Civil Litigation
3. The Court System
UNIT TWO: INVESTIGATION AND PLANNING THE LITIGATION
4. Client Interviews and Investigation in Civil Litigation
5. Organizing and Managing Civil Litigation
6. Electronic Research
UNIT THREE: EVIDENCE AND DOCUMENTS IN CIVIL LITIGATION
8. Settlement and Alternative Dispute Resolution
9. Pleadings: Complaint, Summons, and Service
10. Pleadings: Responses to Complaint
UNIT FOUR: FORMAL DISCOVERY METHODS
11. Introduction to Discovery
12. Issues in Electronic Discovery
13. Interrogatories and Requests for Production
15. Other Forms of Discovery
UNIT FIVE: TRIAL OF THE CASE
16. Trial Preparation—Postdiscovery to Pretrial
18. The Electronic Courtroom and Trial Presentation
UNIT SIX: POSTTRIAL ISSUES
19. Posttrial Procedures
20. Enforcement of Judgments
APPENDIX 1. Case Studies
APPENDIX 2. Glossary of Spanish Equivalents for Important Legal Terms
APPENDIX 3. Internet Resources
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
New York Civil Litigation, CourseSmart eTextbook, 2nd Edition
Format: Safari Book
$68.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-237307-4