Damn Small Linux (DSL) is a super-efficient platform for everything from custom desktops to professional servers. Now, DSL’s creator and lead developer have written the first definitive, practical guide to this remarkable system. The Official Damn Small Linux Book brings together everything you need to put DSL to work in just minutes. Simply learn a few essentials, boot the live CD-ROM, and master the rest...one step at a time, hands-on.
If you’re new to Linux, you can quickly discover how to use DSL to take your data on the road, safely running your programs and personal environment on nearly any computer. Easily adapt DSL to run on anything from an alternative device (Internet appliance, hand-held, diskless PC, or mini-ITX system) to an older PC that might otherwise be headed for landfill.
Use this book and CD-ROM package to
- Run DSL at blazing speed, from CD, USB pen drive, or directly from RAM
- Run DSL from your hard drive or in a virtual environment within Windows
- Add applications and create shareable extensions
- Customize and remaster DSL to create your own distribution
- Build a complete music and multimedia server
- Use Skype VoIP phone service in DSL
- Quickly set up an XAMPP Web server, complete with MySQL, PHP, and Perl, to host your personal Web pages
- Several versions of Damn Small Linux that let you run DSL directly from the CD, a Windows desktop, a pen drive, or your PC’s RAM.
- Software packages (MyDSL extensions) including everything you need to create an Edna music server, Skype® VoIP calling client, multimedia picture frame, and tiny XAMPP Web server.
- Tools for rebuilding and remastering Damn Small Linux.
Your Practical, Hands-On Guides to Getting Real Results with Free Software
Every book in this series encourages and challenges you to advance in the free software world. Boot the accompanying live DVD or CD and watch the Linux system, applications, and content described in the book come to life. When you finish, you’ll know how to use, customize, and rebuild that open source software. Start as a novice, by trying out examples...and finish as a professional!
- Processor: 486DX (recommended Pentium I) or higher
- Memory: 32MB RAM or more (can run entirely in memory in 128MB RAM)
- Disk space: No hard disk space required to run from CD-ROM or USB thumb drive; 50MB minimum for frugal hard disk installs; 200-300MB recommended minimum for traditional hard disk installs
- Graphics: SVGA-capable card with monitor capable of 800x600 resolution
Table of Contents
About the Authors xix
Part I: Using Damn Small Linux 7
Chapter 1: Overview of Damn Small Linux 9
Chapter 2: Booting DSL 29
Chapter 3: Using DSL Applications 47
Chapter 4: Configuring and Saving DSL Settings 71
Chapter 5: Extending Applications with MyDSL 99
Part II: DSL Beyond the Live CD 119
Chapter 6: Running a Native Pen Drive Install 121
Chapter 7: Running DSL Embedded in Windows 139
Chapter 8: Installing DSL in Alternate Ways 151
Chapter 9: Performing a Traditional Hard Drive Install 177
PART III: Creating Extensions and Remastering 187
Chapter 10: Adding Applications and Creating Shareable Extensions 189
Chapter 11: Setting up a Full Remastering Environment 211
PART IV: Making Damn Small Linux Projects 243
Chapter 12: Running DSL on Alternative Hardware 245
Chapter 13: Making an Edna Music Server in DSL 259
Chapter 14: Using Skype VoIP Service in DSL 271
Chapter 15: Running a Digital Media Frame with DSL 291
Chapter 16: Setting up an XAMPP Web Server in DSL 313
Part V: Appendixes 339
Appendix A: On the CD 341
Appendix B: MyDSL Extensions 345
Format: eBook (Watermarked)?
This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUBThe open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
MOBIThe eBook format compatible with the Amazon Kindle and Amazon Kindle applications.
PDFThe popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discretely watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
Includes EPUB, MOBI, and PDF
$39.99Add to Cart