Note: This is the bound book only and does not include access to the Enhanced Pearson eText. To order the Enhanced Pearson eText packaged with the bound book, use ISBN 0133399761. To order this title packaged with MyCounselingLab without Pearson eText, use ISBN 0134297458.
Designed to orient counselors in training to the profession of counseling—regardless of their area of specialty—this comprehensive, current, and innovative guide covers the major tenets of the counseling profession including advocacy and multicultural counseling; licensure; professional associations; ethical/legal issues; consultation; supervision; outcomes research; and the counseling process, with diverse applications across the lifespan, settings, and specialties. Orientation to the Counseling Profession is precisely aligned with the 2009 CACREP standards, helping CACREP-accredited programs meet the standards and helping non-CACREP programs provide counselors in training with the most current professional training standards. Featured are unique Voices from the Field excerpts that give readers real-life, in-the-trenches practitioner perspectives. The Enhanced Pearson eText features embedded video.
Improve mastery and retention with the Enhanced Pearson eText*
The Enhanced Pearson eText provides a rich, interactive learning environment designed to improve student mastery of content. The Enhanced Pearson eText is:
- Engaging. The new interactive, multimedia learning features were developed by the authors and other subject-matter experts to deepen and enrich the learning experience.
- Convenient. Enjoy instant online access from your computer or download the Pearson eText App to read on or offline on your iPad® and Android® tablet.*
- Affordable. The Enhanced Pearson eText may be purchased stand-alone or with a loose-leaf version of the text for 40-65% less than a print bound book.
*The Enhanced eText features are only available in the Pearson eText format. They are not available in third-party eTexts or downloads.
*The Pearson eText App is available on Google Play and in the App Store. It requires Android OS 3.1-4, a 7” or 10” tablet, or iPad iOS 5.0 or later.
Table of Contents
Brief Table of Contents
Section One Foundations of Professional Counselor Identity
Chapter 1 Becoming a Professional Counselor: Philosophical, Historical, and Future Considerations by Susan H. Carmichael
and Bradley T. Erford
Chapter 2 Professional Counseling Organizations, Licensure, Certification, and Accreditation by Joshua C. Watson, Bradley
T. Erford, David M. Kaplan, and Grafton T. Eliason
Chapter 3 Ethical and Legal Issues in Counseling by Lynn E. Linde and Bradley T. Erford
Section Two Counseling Processes and Approaches
Chapter 4 Theories of Counseling by Dana Heller Levitt, Alissa Darnell, Bradley T. Erford, and Ann Vernon
Chapter 5 The Counseling Process by Donna S. Sheperis and Cyrus Marcellus Ellis
Chapter 6 Counseling Microskills by Joseph B. Cooper
Section Three Client Issues and Advocacy
Chapter 7 Human Development Throughout the Lifespan by Ann Vernon and Bradley T. Erford
Chapter 8 Multicultural Counseling by Danica G. Hays and Geneva M. Gray
Chapter 9 Advocating for the Counseling Profession by Amy Milsom
Chapter 10 Advocacy Counseling: Being an Effective Agent of Change for Clients by Donna M. Gibson
Chapter 11 Settings and Counseling Career Choices by Nadine E. Garner, James P. Valle and Stefanie A. Moore
Chapter 12 Client Issues by Catherine Y. Chang and Amy L. McLeod
Chapter 13 Assessment, Case Conceptualization, Diagnosis, and Treatment Planning by Gail Mears and Jodi Bartley
Chapter 14 Consultation and Supervision by Mark A. Young and Alan Basham
Section Four The Effectiveness of Counseling
Chapter 15 Accountability in Counseling by Bradley T. Erford
Chapter 16 Outcome Research in Counseling by Susan H. Carmichael and Bradley T. Erford
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$25.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-410605-2
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$61.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-325775-5