This long-standing bestseller is a classic in the field, used by both pre-service and practicing teachers because it offers a collection of strategies and hands-on activities that provide a framework for teaching phonics.
Written by an outstanding scholar, Phonics They Use seamlessly weaves together the complex and varied strategic approaches needed to help students develop reading and writing skills. Building on previous editions, it focuses on how students use phonics to read and write, not just how much phonics a student knows. Each chapter is filled with developmentally appropriate activities that help students with fluency, rhyme-based decoding, spelling, and more. This edition includes three chapters on assessment, more suggestions for adapting activities for English language learners, and new phonics interventions for older struggling readers.
New to the Sixth Edition:
- A new chapters on Assessment and Differentiation of Early Reading Concepts (Chapter 5), Fluency Assessment and Interventions (Chapter 8), and Phonics Assessment, Coaching and Interventions (Chapter 13)
- More suggestions For English Language Learners show how teachers have adapted the Phonics They Use activities to meet the needs of their students who are learning English.
- Phonics interventions for older struggling readers focus on activities such as “Brand Name Phonics,” “The Wheel,” and “Mystery Word Match” to help older students learn basic phonics skills.
- Updated research, materials, and technology (Chapter 14) provides the latest findings on phonics and its impact on reading and writing.
Table of Contents
PART ONE: BUILDING THE FOUNDATION FOR PHONICS THEY CAN USE
1. Early Reading and Writing Activities
2. Phonological and Phonemic Awareness
3. Concrete Words, Letter Names, and Sounds
4. Making Words in Kindergarten
5. Early Reading Strategies: Assessment and Differentiation
PART TWO: FLUENCY
6. Fluency Activities
7. High-Frequency Words
8. Fluency: Assessment and Interventions
PART THREE: USING PHONICS AND SPELLING PATTERNS
9. Making Words
10. Rhyme-Based Decoding and Spelling Activities
11. Decoding and Spelling Big Words
12. Making Words in Upper Grades
13. Phonics Assessment, Coaching and Interventions
PART FOUR: RESEARCH AND TERMINOLOGY
14. The Theory and the Research—The Why Underlying the How
15. Phonics Terminology for Teachers
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$28.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-296329-9