The leading text in the field, Play at the Center of the Curriculum seamlessly combines the features of a text on play and development with the features of an early childhood curriculum text to present a comprehensive, cogent rationale for placing play at the center of a balanced curriculum. Ideal for those who want to engage children in a developmental zone where children and teachers are learning from and with each other, the authors put play at the center of a balanced curriculum that includes spontaneous, guided, and directed play as well as teacher planned instruction. They describe how knowledgeable teachers use a wide repertoire of strategies to orchestrate the flow from spontaneous play to guided play, to more subject oriented instruction, and back to play. This thoroughly updated Sixth Edition interweaves anecdotes of children’s play, theories of play and development, empirical evidence from research, and practical instructional strategies to give students a clear look at play and the curriculum.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Looking at Play Through Teachers' Eyes
Chapter 2 Play and Development: Theory
Chapter 3 Play as the Cornerstone of Development: The Literature
Chapter 4 Orchestrating Children's Play: Setting the Stage
Chapter 5 Orchestrating Play: Interactions With Children
Chapter 6 Play as a Tool for Assessment
Chapter 7 Mathematics in the Play- Centered Curriculum
Chapter 8 Language, Literacy, and Play
Chapter 9 Science in the Play-Centered Curriculum
Chapter 10 The Arts in the Play-Centered Curriculum
Chapter 11 Play and Socialization
Chapter 12 Outdoor Play
Chapter 13 Toys and Technology as Tools for Play
Chapter 14 Conclusion: Integrating Play, Development, and Practice
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$52.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-346184-8