For courses in Police Supervision and/or Management.
Taking a problem-solving approach, this book provides readers with an insider’s view of the challenging and demanding world of the police supervisor or manager. Aimed at first-line supervisors and mid-level managers, it covers basic human resource responsibilities (training and evaluating officers, officer rights, etc.) and day-to-day tasks (deploying and scheduling, responses to crime problems, etc.). This edition includes new chapters on union and labor relations, police operations and homeland security. Throughout, case studies get readers thinking about the issues and exhibits show what some jurisdictions are doing to address problems of crime and disorder.
Table of Contents
PART ONE: THE SUPERVISOR IN A POLICE ORGANIZATION
1. The Dynamics of Police Organizations
2. Role and Responsibilities
3. Leadership and Motivation within the Police Organization
4. Community Policing and Problem Solving
5. Communication and Negotiation
PART TWO: SUPERVISING HUMAN RESOURCES
6. Training, Education, and Professional Development
7. Evaluation Methods and Performance Appraisal
8. Stress, Wellness, and Employee Assistance Programs
9. Ethics, Inappropriate Behaviors, and Liability
10. Officers’ Rights and Discipline
11. Unions and Labor Relations
PART THREE: SUPERVISING THE WORK OF POLICE
12. Deploying and Scheduling Personnel
13. Managing and Supervising Police Operations
14. On Patrol: Responses to Difficult Crime Problems
15. Disasters and Critical Incidents
PART FOUR: MAJOR CHALLENGES
16. Homeland Security and Future Crime Related Issues
Appendix: Advice That Has Stood the Test of Time: Some Practical Counsel
Analects of Confucius and Machiavelli
Cues for Today’s Supervisors and Managers
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Police Supervision and Management, CourseSmart eTextbook, 3rd Edition
Format: Safari Book
$64.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-506004-9