Policing: A Brief Introduction provides a complete and objective overview of policing in America, from its historical roots through the present day. Five distinct sections cover the foundations of policing, personnel issues, police work, legal issues, and the challenges of police discretion and behavior. This innovative new text includes the many pedagogical extras and an engaging four-color design typically associated with longer criminal justice texts, while maintaining a concise focus and brief format.
Table of Contents
SECTION I FOUNDATIONS
Chapter 1 Origins and Evolution of American Policing
Chapter 2 Policing in American Context
Chapter 3 Law Enforcement Agencies and Their Organization
SECTION II A CAREER IN POLICING
Chapter 4 Becoming a Cop
Chapter 5 Police Subculture
Chapter 6 Police Discretion and Behavior
SECTION III ON THE JOB
Chapter 7 Core Police Functions
Chapter 8 Community Policing and Community Involvement
Chapter 9 Policing in the Modern Era
SECTION IV LEGAL ISSUES
Chapter 10 Policing and the Law
Chapter 11 Civil Liability and Accountability
SECTION V CHALLENGES
Chapter 12 Deviance, Ethics, and Professionalism
Chapter 13 The Use of Force
Format: Alternate Binding
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
We recommend Policing, 2nd Edition as a replacement.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users