For courses in Introduction to Policing or General Policing or as a supplemental text for Community Policing or Police Administration.
Policing America, 7e offers a problem-solving approach that emphasizes what is actually working in the field. Based on the author’s over thirty years of practical policing and academic experience, the book covers policing topics and tactics–including history, patrol, police subculture, investigation, organization and administration, community policing, the rule of law, accountability, civil liability and technologies. Organized so as to flow smoothly for the instructor and student, this edition now features a new chapter on personnel issues, a major revision of the futures chapter, and new Learn by Doing scenarios and Career Profiles that provide a penetrating view of one of the most difficult and challenging occupations in America: policing.
Table of Contents
I. FOUNDATIONS: DEVELOPMENT OF LAW ENFORCEMENT ORGANIZATIONS
1. History: Coming to America - Struggle and Transformation
2. Federal and State Agencies: Protecting our Borders
3. Police in Society: Organization and Administration of Municipal and County Agencies
II. PERSONNEL MATTERS: PREPARATION, DOING THE WORK AND SELF-HELP
4. Preparing for the Street: Recruiting, Training, and Socialization
5. On Patrol: Methods and Menaces
6. Community-Oriented Policing and Problem Solving: Confronting Crime and Disorder
7. Criminal Investigation: The Science of Sleuthing
8. Personnel Issues and Practices: Stress, Labor Relations, Higher Education and Private Police
III. CONSTRAINTS: RULE OF LAW, ACCOUNTABILITY, AND LIABILITY
9. The Rule of Law: Expounding the Constitution
10. Accountability: Ethics, Use of Force, Corruption, and Discipline
11. Civil Liability: Failing the Public Trust
IV. SPECIAL POPULATIONS, PROBLEMS, AND CHALLENGES
12. Pursuing Criminal Syndicates: Terrorists, The Mob, Gangs, Drug Traffickers
13. Addressing “People Problems”: Immigrants, Youth, Hate Crimes, and the Homeless
V. OTHER CHALLENGES TODAY AND BEYOND
14. Technology Review: Tools for the Tasks
15. Focus on the Future
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$70.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-510152-0