For courses in Policing or Law Enforcement.
Policing Today provides a comprehensive and contemporary overview of policing in America–from its historical roots through the present day. Six distinct sections cover the foundations of policing, personnel issues, police work, legal issues and more! Chapter opening stories feature high-profile cases and include questions for critical thinking. Ethical dilemma boxes and “Does it Work?” features capture much of what is faced by law enforcement today. Offering a four-color format and feature-rich presentation, this book presents the reality of police work in ways that will captivate students and help prepare them for the field.
Table of Contents
SECTION I: FOUNDATIONS
1. Origins and Evolution of Policing
2. Policing in American Context
3. Police and the Criminal Justice System
4. Agencies of Law Enforcement and Their Organizations
SECTION II: PERSONNEL ISSUES
5. Becoming a Cop
6. Police Subculture
7. Career Concerns
SECTION III: POLICE WORK
8. Patrol, Peacekeeping, and Investigations
9. Intelligence, Information, and Special Problems
10. Community Policing and Community Involvement
SECTION IV: LEGAL ISSUES
11. Policing and the Law
12. Civil Liability and Accountability
SECTION V: CHALLENGES
13. Police Discretion and Behavior
14. Deviance, Ethics and Professionalism
15. The Use of Force
SECTION VI: THE FUTURE
16. The Future of Policing
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Policing Today, CourseSmart eTextbook
Format: Safari Book
$67.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-505606-6