Updated in its 8th edition, Politics and Policy in States & Communities distinguishes itself through its highly accessible writing style, inclusion of unique topics such as tribal governments, extensive discussion of intergovernmental relations, and its focus on the relationship between government and the governed--how individuals are affected by government decisions and how individuals influence public policy ("face-to-face" approach). The "face-to-face" approach to the study of state and local governments personalizes the material, connects government to readers' lives, and makes the material more meaningful and relevant to the reader.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Face-to-Face Governance
Chapter 2: State Diversity, Growth and Decline, and the Contemporary Urban Dilemma
Chapter 3: Federalism and Intergovernmental Relations
Chapter 4: Constitutions and Charters
Chapter 5: Policy-Making Processes: The Framework for Participation
Chapter 6: Grassroots Participation
Chapter 7: Interest Groups
Chapter 8: Political Parties and Elections
Chapter 9: Governors
Chapter 10: State Legislatures
Chapter 11: Local Government Executives and Legislatures
Chapter 12: Bureaucracies
Chapter 13: Courts
Chapter 14: Crime and Corrections
Chapter 15: Educational Policy
Chapter 16: Social Welfare and Health Policy
Chapter 17: Environmental Policy and Economic Development
Chapter 18: Fiscal Policy and Financial Management
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$79.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-91664-1