In 1936, Harold Lasswell defined politics as a struggle over the allocation of values and resources in a society. More precisely, he defined politics as a contest over “who gets what, when, and how” — a competition for resources. In Politics in America, Tom Dye employs this classic, and still resonant, definition as the lens through which he examines the foundations, institutions, behaviors, and policies of the American political system.
Written in an accessible, almost folksy style — and tinged with some old-fashioned, conservative snark — Dye’s text provides straightforward, descriptive coverage of American politics and government.
Table of Contents
1. Politics: Who Gets What, When, and How
2. Political Culture: Ideas in Conflict
3. The Constitution: Limiting Governmental Power
4. Federalism: Dividing Governmental Power
5. Opinion and Participation: Thinking and Acting in Politics
6. Mass Media: Setting the Political Agenda
7. Political Parties: Organizing Politics
8. Campaigns and Elections: Deciding Who Governs
9. Interest Groups: Getting Their Share and More
10. Congress: Politics on Capitol Hill
11. The President: White House Politics
12. The Bureaucracy: Bureaucratic Politics
13. Courts: Judicial Politics
14. Politics and Personal Liberty
15. Politics and Civil Rights
16. Politics and the Economy
17. Politics and Social Welfare
18. Politics and National Security
VI. TEXAS POLITICS
19. The Social and Economic Milieu of Texas Politics
20. The Texas Constitution
21. Interest Groups, Political Parties, and Elections in Texas
22. The Texas Legislature
23. The Texas Executive and Bureaucracy
24. The Texas Judiciary
25. Local Government in Texas
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Politics in America, Texas Edition, CourseSmart eTextbook, 9th Edition
Format: Safari Book
$81.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-82699-5