Written in uncommonly engaging and elegant prose, Practical Research: Planning and Design is a "do-it-yourself, understand-it-yourself” manual designed to help students in any discipline understand the fundamental structure of quality research and the methodical process that leads to valid and reliable results. The authors emphasize two things: 1) that quality research demands planning and design; and, 2) how research projects can be executed effectively and professionally.
This text guides the reader, step-by-step, from the selection of a problem, through the process of conducting authentic research, to the preparation of a completed report, with practical suggestions based on a solid theoretical framework and sound pedagogy. With broad coverage applicable to any discipline, Practical Research is valuable to students planning to conduct their own research projects as well as to anyone wanting to participate in thoughtful, methodical evaluation of published research reports.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. The Nature and Tools of Research
PART II: FOCUSING YOUR RESEARCH EFFORTS
Chapter 2. The problem: the Heart of the Research Process
Chapter 3. Review of the Related Literature
Chapter 4. Planning Your Research Project
Chapter 5. Writing the Research Proposal
PART III: QUALITATIVE RESEARCH METHODOLOGIES
Chapter 6. Qualitative Research
Chapter 7. Historical Research
PART IV: QUANTITATIVE RESEARCH METHODOLOGIES
Chapter 8. Descriptive Research
Chapter 9. Experimental, Quasi-Experimental, and Ex Post Facto Designs
Chapter 10. Mixed-Methods Research
Chapter 11. Strategies for Analyzing Quantitative Data
PART V: PREPARING THE RESEARCH REPORT
Chapter 12. Technical Details: Style, Format, and Organization of the Research Report
Appendix A. Using a Spreadsheet: Microsoft Excel
Appendix B. Using SPSS
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
We recommend Practical Research: Planning and Design, 11th Edition as a replacement.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users