The Graphs and Models series by Bittinger, Beecher, Ellenbogen, and Penna is known for helping students “see the math” through its focus on visualization and technology. These texts continue to maintain the features that have helped students succeed for years: focus on functions, visual emphasis, side-by-side algebraic and graphical solutions, and real-data applications.
With the Fifth Edition, visualization is taken to a new level with technology. The authors also integrate smartphone apps, encouraging readers to visualize the math. In addition, ongoing review has been added with new Mid-Chapter Mixed Review exercise sets and new Study Guide summaries to help students prepare for tests.
Table of Contents
Guide to Success
R. Basic Concepts of Algebra
R.1 The Real-Number System
R.2 Integer Exponents, Scientific Notation, and Order of Operations
R.3 Addition, Subtraction, and Multiplication of Polynomials
R.5 The Basics of Equation Solving
R.6 Rational Expressions
R.7 Radical Notation and Rational Exponents
1. Graphs, Functions, and Models
1.1 Introduction to Graphing
1.2 Functions and Graphs
1.3 Linear Functions, Slope, and Applications
1.4 Equations of Lines and Modeling
1.5 Linear Equations, Functions, Zeros, and Applications
1.6 Solving Linear Inequalities
2. More on Functions
2.1 Increasing, Decreasing, and Piecewise Functions; Applications
2.2 The Algebra of Functions
2.3 The Composition of Functions
2.6 Variation and Applications
3. Quadratic Functions and Equations; Inequalities
3.1 The Complex Numbers
3.2 Quadratic Equations, Functions, Zeros, and Models
3.3 Analyzing Graphs of Quadratic Functions
3.4 Solving Rational Equations and Radical Equations
3.5 Solving Equations and Inequalities with Absolute Value
4. Polynomial and Rational Functions
4.1 Polynomial Functions and Modeling
4.2 Graphing Polynomial Functions
4.3 Polynomial Division; The Remainder Theorem and the Factor Theorem
4.4 Theorems about Zeros of Polynomial Functions
4.5 Rational Functions
4.6 Polynomial Inequalities and Rational Inequalities
5. Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
5.1 Inverse Functions
5.2 Exponential Functions and Graphs
5.3 Logarithmic Functions and Graphs
5.4 Properties of Logarithmic Functions
5.5 Solving Exponential and Logarithmic Equations
5.6 Applications and Models: Growth and Decay; Compound Interest
6. The Trigonometric Functions
6.1 Trigonometric Functions of Acute Angles
6.2 Applications of Right Triangles
6.3 Trigonometric Functions of Any Angle
6.4 Radians, Arc Length, and Angular Speed
6.5 Circular Functions: Graphs and Properties
6.6 Graphs of Transformed Sine and Cosine Functions
7. Trigonometric Identities, Inverse Functions, and Equations
7.1 Identities: Pythagorean and Sum and Difference
7.2 Identities: Cofunction, Double-Angle, and Half-Angle
7.3 Proving Trigonometric Identities
7.4 Inverses of the Trigonometric Functions
7.5 Solving Trigonometric Equations
8. Applications of Trigonometry
8.1 The Law of Sines
8.2 The Law of Cosines
8.3 Complex Numbers: Trigonometric Form
8.4 Polar Coordinates and Graphs
8.5 Vectors and Applications
8.6 Vector Operations
9. Systems of Equations and Matrices
9.1 Systems of Equations in Two Variables
9.2 Systems of Equations in Three Variables
9.3 Matrices and Systems of Equations
9.4 Matrix Operations
9.5 Inverses of Matrices
9.6 Determinants and Cramer's Rule
9.7 Systems of Inequalities and Linear Programming
9.8 Partial Fractions
10. Analytic Geometry Topics
10.1 The Parabola
10.2 The Circle and the Ellipse
10.3 The Hyperbola
10.4 Nonlinear Systems of Equations and Inequalities
10.5 Rotation of Axes
10.6 Polar Equations of Conics
10.7 Parametric Equations
11. Sequences, Series, and Combinatorics
11.1 Sequences and Series
11.2 Arithmetic Sequences and Series
11.3 Geometric Sequences and Series
11.4 Mathematical Induction
11.5 Combinatorics: Permutations
11.6 Combinatorics: Combinations
11.7 The Binomial Theorem
Index of Applications
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Format: Alternate Binding
This item has been upgraded to Precalculus: Graphs and Models and Graphing Calculator Manual Package, 5th Edition.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$104.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-84918-2
Alternative Options ?
Click on the titles below to learn more about these options.
$166.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-82956-6