Procedures in the Justice System, 10e, is comprehensive yet readable. Designed for one-semester courses on American criminal courts, it covers the court systems and processes using a sequential approach—following law violators from arrest to conviction and sentencing. Each chapter examines the roles that law enforcement agencies, courts, and correctional departments play in the process, and builds logically on previous material. Down-to-earth examples, illustrations, court documents, and cases help make procedures more real and concrete.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Historical Development of Law and the Justice System
Chapter 2 Search and Seizure
Chapter 3 Arrest and Custody
Chapter 4 Initial Appearance
Chapter 6 Place and Time of Trial
Chapter 7 Trial
Chapter 8 Assistance of Counsel
Chapter 9 Pretrial Motions, Hearings, and Plea Negotiations
Chapter 10 Courtroom Evidence
Chapter 11 Trial: Roles of Major Participants
Chapter 12 Jury
Chapter 13 Trial Procedure
Chapter 14 Instructions and Deliberation of the Jury
Chapter 15 The Verdict and Appeals
Chapter 16 Sentencing
Chapter 17 Collateral Proceedings
Chapter 18 Victims’ Rights
This item has been upgraded to Procedures in the Justice System, 11th Edition.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$79.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-300395-6