Reimagined for full-screen and touch-optimized apps, Windows 8 provides a platform for reaching new users in new ways. In response, programming legend Charles Petzold is rewriting his classic Programming Windows—one of the most popular programming books of all time—to show developers how to use existing skills and tools to build Windows 8 apps.
Programming Windows, Sixth Edition focuses on creating Windows 8 apps accessing the Windows Runtime with XAML and C#. The book also provides C++ code samples. The Sixth Edition is organized in two parts:
- Part I, “Elementals,” begins with the interrelationship between code and XAML, basic event handling, dynamic layout, controls, templates, asynchronous processing, the application bar, control customization, and collections. You should emerge from Part I ready to create sophisticated page-oriented collection-based user interfaces using the powerful ListView and GridView controls.
- Part II, “Specialties,” explores topics you might not need for every program but are essential to a well-rounded education in Windows 8. These include multitouch, bitmap graphics, interfacing with share and search facilities, printing, working with the sensors (GPS and orientation), text, obtaining input from the stylus (including handwriting recognition), accessing web services, calling Win32 and DirectX functions, and bringing your application to the Windows 8 app store.
Table of Contents
- Part I: Elementals
- Chapter 1: Markup and Code
- Chapter 2: XAML Syntax
- Chapter 3: Basic Event Handling
- Chapter 4: Presentation with Panels
- Chapter 5: Control Interaction
- Chapter 6: WinRT and MVVM
- Chapter 7: Asynchronicity
- Chapter 8: App Bars and Popups
- Chapter 9: Animation
- Chapter 10: Transforms
- Chapter 11: The Three Templates
- Chapter 12: Pages and Navigation
- Part II: Specialties
- Chapter 13: Touch, Etc.
- Chapter 14: Bitmaps
- Chapter 15: Going Native
- Chapter 16: Rich Text
- Chapter 17: Share and Print
- Chapter 18: Sensors and GPS
- Chapter 19: Pen (Also Known as Stylus)
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
eBook (Watermarked) ?
Includes EPUB, MOBI, and PDF
This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUBThe open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
MOBIThe eBook format compatible with the Amazon Kindle and Amazon Kindle applications.
PDFThe popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discreetly watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$29.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-7356-9602-0