Understanding psychological research by finding a problem, discovering the clues, and evaluating the evidence.
The Psychologist as Detectives introduces students to the research process. The authors treat psychological research as a detective case in which a problem is presented, clues are discovered, evidence is evaluated, and a report is prepared for consideration by peers.
Upon completing this book, readers will be able to:
- Think critically about research and research methods
- Analyze research as a problem solving procedure
- Develop research skills by looking at examples of research studies
- Evaluate evidence from a research study and prepare a report or summary of the case
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Psychological Research and the Research Methods Course
Chapter 2 Developing a Good Research Idea and Conducting an Ethical Project
Chapter 3 Qualitative Research Methods
Chapter 4 Nonexperimental Methods: Descriptive Methods, Correlational Studies, Ex Post Facto Studies, Survey and Questionnaires, Sampling, and Basic Research Strategies
Chapter 5 Using the Scientific Method in Psychology
Chapter 6 Conducting a Good Experiment I: Variables and Control
Chapter 7 Conducting a Good Experiment II: Final Considerations, Unanticipated Influences, and Cross-Cultural Issues
Chapter 8 Internal and External Validity
Chapter 9 Using Statistics to Answer Questions
Chapter 10 Designing, Conducting, Analyzing, and Interpreting Experiments with Two Groups
Chapter 11 Designing, Conducting, Analyzing, and Interpreting Experiments with More than Two Groups
Chapter 12 Designing, Conducting, Analyzing, and Interpreting Experiments with Multiple Independent Variables
Chapter 13 Alternative Research Designs
Chapter 14 Writing and Assembling an APA-Format Research Report
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$92.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-91712-9