The most learner-centered and assessment-driven text available.
Praised for a very engaging writing style, comprehensive coverage of key research, and strong pedagogical features, Ciccarelli and White focus on getting students to read their textbook. Using the most recent recommended APA undergraduate psychology learning outcomes, the authors establish clear learning objectives for students that are tied to these objectives. Student and instructors praise Ciccarelli and White's approach to teaching and learning in today's classroom. The thirteen-chapter table of contents covers the essentials that every introductory psychology student should know and fits easily into a one-semester course.
A better teaching and learning experience
This program will provide a better teaching and learning experience— for you and your students. Here’s how:
- Personalize Learning - The new MyPsychLab delivers proven results in helping students succeed, provides engaging experiences that personalize learning, and comes from a trusted partner with educational expertise and a deep commitment to helping students and instructors achieve their goals.
- Improve Critical Thinking — Features such as Student Voice and Link icons help students understand the material easily. The Student Voice Questions create a dialogue between the reader and the text while the Link icons connect all the related fields of psychology to one another.
- Engage Students — The highly visual features such as chapter opening prologues, concept maps, and special feature essays are designed to capture student interest immediately.
- Explore Research — With updated references, readers will continue to read about the most current research. Special feature essays found within the narrative cover interesting topics related to the chapter material.
- Support Instructors — This program provides instructors with unbeatable resources, including state-of-the art Interactive PowerPoints embedded with videos, the NEW MyPsychLab Video Series, an easy to use Instructor’s Manual, a class tested Test Bank with item analysis data, an online test generator (MyTest) and the new MyPsychLab. All of these materials are available to be packaged with the text upon request.
Note: MyPsychLab does not come automatically packaged with this text. To purchase the new MyPsychLab, please visit: www.mypsychlab.com or you can purchase a ValuePack of the text + the new MyPsychLab (at no additional cost): ValuePack ISBN-10: 0205249663 / ValuePack ISBN-13: 9780205249664.
Table of Contents
In this Section:
1. Brief Table of Contents
2. Full Table of Contents
1. BRIEF TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1 The Science of Psychology
Chapter 2 The Biological Perspective
Chapter 3 Sensation and Perception
Chapter 4 Learning
Chapter 5 Memory
Chapter 6 Consciousness and Cognition
Chapter 7 Development Across the Life Span
Chapter 8 Motivation and Emotion
Chapter 9 Stress and Health
Chapter 10 Social Psychology
Chapter 11 Theories of Personality and Intelligence
Chapter 12 Psychological Disorders
Chapter 13 Psychological Therapies
2. FULL TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: The Science of Psychology
What is Psychology?
Psychology Then: The History of Psychology
Psychology Now: Modern Perspectives
Psychological Professionals and Areas of Specialization
Psychology: The Scientific Methodology
Ethics of Psychological Research
Chapter 2: The Biological Perspective
An Overview of the Nervous System
Neurons and Nerves: Building the Network
The Central Nervous System- The "Central Processing Unit"
The Peripheral Nervous System- Nerves on the Edge
Distant Connections: The Endocrine Glands
Looking Inside the Brain
From the Bottom Up: The Structures of the Brain
Chapter 3: Sensation and Perception
The ABCs of Sensation
The Science of Seeing
The Hearing Sense: Can You Hear Me Now?
Chemical Senses: It tastes Good, But It Smells Even Better
Somesthetic Senses: What the Body Knows
The ABCs of Perception
Chapter 4: Learning
Definition of Learning
It Makes Your Mouth Water: Classical Conditioning
What's in It for Me? Operant Conditioning
Cognitive Learning Theory
Chapter 5: Memory
Three Processes of Memory
Models of Memory
The Information-Processing Model: Three Stages of Memory
Getting It Out: Retrieval of Long-Term Memories
The Reconstructive Nature of Long-Term Memory Retrieval: How Reliable Are Memories?
What Were We Talking About? Forgetting
Neuroscience of Memory
Chapter 6: Consciousness and Cognition
What is Consciousness?
Altered States: Sleep
How People Think
Chapter 7: Development Across the Life Span
Issues in Studying Human Development
The Basic Building Blocks of Development
The embryonic Period
The Fetal Period: Grow, Baby, Grow
Infancy and Childhood Development
Baby, Can You See Me? Baby, Can You Hear Me? Sensory Development
Chapter 8: Motivation and Emotion
Approaches to Understanding Motivation
Psychoactive Drugs and Addiction
Chapter 9: Stress and Health
Stress and Stressors
Physiological Factors: Stress and Health
Stress, Hunger, and Eating Disorders
Stress and Sexual Dysfunction
Coping with Stress
Chapter 10: Social Psychology
Social Influence: Conformity, Compliance, and Obedience
Social Cognition: Attitudes, Impression Formation, and Attribution
Social Interaction: Prejudice, Love, and Aggression
Liking and Loving: Interpersonal Attraction
Aggression and Prosocial Behavior
Chapter 11: Theories of Personality and Intelligence
Theories of Personality and Intelligence
The Man and the Couch: Sigmund Freud and Psychodynamic Perspective
The Behaviorist and Social Cognitive Views of Personality
The Third Force: Humanism and Personality
Trait Theories: Who Are You?
Assessment of Personality
The Biology of Personality and Intelligence: Behavioral Genetics
Chapter 12: Psychological Disorders
What is Abnormality?
Models of Abnormality
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revision (DSM-IV-TR)
Anxiety Disorders: What, Me Worry?
Mood Disorders: The Effect of Affect
Schizophrenia: Altered Reality
Chapter 13: Psychological Therapies
Two Kinds of Therapy
The Early Days: Ice-Water Baths and Electric Shocks
Humanistic Therapies: To Err is Human
Behavior Therapies: Learning One's Way to Better Behavior
Cognitive Therapies: Thinking is Believing
Group Therapies: Not for the Shy
Does Psychotherapy Really Work?
$65.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-84569-9
$94.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-84681-8