In this comprehensive, accessible guide, pre- and in-service K-12 teachers get a firm understanding of the essential topics of first and second language acquisition along with teaching and assessment strategies for oral language development, vocabulary, writing, reading, and reading and writing across the curriculum. With its strong research base, engaging style, and helpful descriptions of specific teaching strategies, Reading, Writing, and Learning in ESL, 6e explains how contemporary language acquisition theory informs instruction, while providing suggestions and methods for motivating ELs’ English language, literacy and content learning. New material in this Sixth Edition includes an in-depth discussion of academic language; an exploration of the demands of Internet reading compared to traditional text reading; a presentation of Response to Intervention (RTI) as applied to ELs; and a wealth of Internet resources throughout the book.
Table of Contents
1. English Learners in 21st Century Classrooms
2. Language and Language Acquisition
3. Classroom Practices for Effective English Learner Instruction
4. Oral Language Development in Second Language Acquisition
5. Emergent Literacy: English Learners Beginning to Write and Read
6. Words and Meaning: English Learners’ Vocabulary Development
7. English Learners and Process Writing
8. Reading and Literature Instruction for English Learners
9. Content Reading and Writing: Pre-reading and During Reading
10. Content Reading and Writing: Post-reading Strategies for Organizing and Remembering
11. Reading Assessment and Instruction
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
We recommend Reading, Writing and Learning in ESL: A Resource Book for Teaching K-12 English Learners, 7th Edition as a replacement.