Table of Contents
Prenatal & Neonatal Development.
1. Sound Familiar?: Experiments and infant memory.
2. Deep Roots: Correlations and infant temperament.
3. Drinking Without Thinking: Sensitive periods and teratogens.
4. The Nose Knows: Behavioral observation and recognition of infants by smell.
First Two Years.
5. Gimme the Ball: Object Permanence and Piagetian theory.
6. Attachment in Separation: Quasi experiments and maternal attachment.
7. A Family Affair: Ecological psychology and maternal employment.
8. Please Pass the Vegetables: Graph interpretation and egocentricity.
Early Childhood — 2 Years to 6 Years.
9. Spare the Rod: Punishment and aggression.
10. Reach for the Sky: Cognitive immaturity and affordance judging.
11. Some Restrictions May Apply: Deprivation and maltreatment.
12. Chip Off the Old Block: Genetics and psychological characteristics.
Later Childhood — 7 Years to 12 Years.
13. Watching and Weighting: Childhood obesity and television watching.
14. Boldface Letters: Attributions and learned helplessness.
15. It All Adds Up: Ethnicity and academic performance.
16. Watch Yourself: Behavioral therapy and self-management.
17. At a Loss for Words: Sensitive periods and language development.
18. Coming of Age: Pubertal timing and adolescent behavior.
19. Apparent from the Parents: Parenting styles and adolescent behavior.
20. Making the Grade: Early intervention and intellectual outcomes.
21. Who's Old First?: Physical declines in early adulthood.
22. Let's See What This Baby Can Do: Birth and parent schedules.
23. Love Makes the World Go 'Round: Evolutionary psychology and jealousy.
24. Take a Whiff: Evolutionary psychology and mate choice.
25. Work it Out: Exercise in middle adulthood.
26. Blowing in the Wind: Disaster in middle adulthood.
27. Back to Work: Unemployment in late middle age.
28. For Better or Worse: Marital satisfaction and locus of control.
29. Old Folks at Home: Activities of daily living in late adulthood.
30. Over the Hill: A prospective cohort study and intellectual functioning.
31. Please Don't Depend on Me: Dependent behavior in institutions.
32. Termination of the Termites: Psychological correlates of life span length.