An engaging, case-based approach to the most up-to-date legal topics gives educators a basic understanding of the legal aspects of their work.
This text introduces K-12 educators to a body of school law that will help them to conduct themselves in a legally defensible manner. A balance of case law, statutory law, constitutional provisions, and analytical commentary, this vital book covers a wide range of topics including: sources of law under which educators operate; legal restraints to state action in K-12 education; legal rights and restrictions applicable to students and teachers; law pertaining to persons with disabilities; and liability for damages as a result of official action or inaction. In addition, broad legal concepts such as due process, equal protection, freedom of expression, the wall separating church and state, and reasonable search are analyzed to assist professional educators in gaining a better understanding of the legal landscape in which they operate. The entire text is written in a clear, engaging style appropriate for those who do not have extensive legal backgrounds.
Table of Contents
Table of Cases
A Note to Users of This Text
Educational Governance: Sources of Law and the Courts
1. EDUCATIONAL GOVERNANCE: SOURCES OF LAW AND THE COURTS
Sources of Law
The American Judicial System
2. SCHOOLS AND THE STATE
Religion in the Schools
Use of Facilities
Aid to Nonpublic Schools
3. STUDENTS AND THE LAW
Freedom of Expression
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (Buckley Amendment)
Suspension, Expulsion, and Disciplinary Transfer
Search of Students and Lockers
Pregnancy, Parenthood, and Marriage
Participation in Extracurricular Activities
School Punishment for Out-of-School Offenses
4. TEACHERS AND THE LAW
Nonrenewal and Dismissal
Freedom of Expression
Teacher as Exemplar
5. SCHOOL DESEGREGATION
Early Desegregation in the South
Desegregation in the Non-Southern States
Recent Desegregation Issues
6. INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES AND THE LAW
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act
The Americans with Disabilities Act
7. SCHOOL FINANCE and SCHOOL CHOICE ISSUES
School Finance Reform
8. EDUCATOR AND SCHOOL DISTRICT LIABILITY
General Principles Underlying Educator Liability
Liability under State Law
Liability under Federal Law
APPENDIX A–Analyzing a Court Decision
APPENDIX B–An Introduction to Research in School Law
APPENDIX C–The Constitution of the United States of America-Edited
APPENDIX D–Statutory Material
Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978
Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
Age Discrimination in Employment Act Amendments of 1986
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974
Equal Access Act of 1984
Civil Rights, 42 U.S.C. § 1981-1983
Chapter 92 of the Massachusetts Acts of 2010
An Act Relative to Bullying in Schools
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Package ISBN-13: 9780132967013
Includes this title packaged with:
- School Law: What Every Educator Should Know, A User-Friendly Guide
David Schimmel, Louis Fischer, Leslie R. Stellman
$228.60 | Add to Cart
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$82.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-300060-3