The Science of Nutrition, Third Edition is uniquely organized using an applied approach, which organizes vitamins and minerals based on their functions and effects on the body. This applied approach is most evident in the functional organization of the micronutrient (vitamin and mineral) chapters. Rather than requiring you to memorize all the vitamins and minerals and their characteristics, the authors present them based on their functions (like fluid and electrolyte balance, antioxidant function, bone health, energy metabolism, and blood and immunity health), so that you can understand their effects on the body.
The Third Edition of the book adds New Focus Figure spreads– also appearing as tutorials within MasteringNutrition™–that concentrate on the toughest topics to learn and understand. Expanded in-text and Mastering Math activities pump up the content. Key content innovations also enhance instructor teaching and student learning outcomes through smarter, more focused, and streamlined content organization.
Table of Contents
1. The Science of Nutrition: Linking Food, Function, and Health
2. Designing a Healthful Diet
3. The Human Body: Are We Really What We Eat?
4. Carbohydrates: Plant-Derived Energy Nutrients
4.5: In-Depth: Alcohol
5. Lipids: Essential Energy-Supplying Nutrients
6. Proteins: Crucial Components of All Body Tissues
6.5 In-Depth: Alcohol
7. Metabolism: From Food to Life
7.5: In-Depth: Vitamins and Minerals: Micronutrients with Macro Powers
8. Nutrients Involved in Energy Metabolism
9. Nutrients Involved in Fluid and Electrolyte Balance
10. Nutrients Involved in Antioxidant Function and Vision
10.5: In-Depth: Phytochemicals
11. Nutrients Involved in Bone Health
12. Nutrients Involved in Blood Health and Immunity
13. Achieving and Maintaining a Healthful Body Weight
13.5 In-Depth: Disordered Eating
14. Nutrition and Physical Activity: Keys to Good Health
15. Consumer Issues: Food Safety, Production, and Impact on the Environment
16. Nutrition Through the Life Cycle: Pregnancy and the First Year of Life
17. Nutrition Through the Life Cycle: Childhood and Adolescence
18. Nutrition Through the Life Cycle: The Later Years
19. Global Nutrition
Answers to Review Questions
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
$164.33 | Free Ground Shipping.
MyLab and Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab and Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$47.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-90655-7
$78.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-90899-5
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$65.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-88730-6
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$106.87 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-88745-0