The Science of Nutrition, Third Edition is uniquely organized using an applied approach, which organizes vitamins and minerals based on their functions and effects on the body. This applied approach is most evident in the functional organization of the micronutrient (vitamin and mineral) chapters. Rather than requiring you to memorize all the vitamins and minerals and their characteristics, the authors present them based on their functions (like fluid and electrolyte balance, antioxidant function, bone health, energy metabolism, and blood and immunity health), so that you can understand their effects on the body.
The Third Edition of the book adds New Focus Figure spreads that concentrate on the toughest topics to learn and understand.
Table of Contents
1. The Science of Nutrition: Linking Food, Function, and Health
2. Designing a Healthful Diet
3. The Human Body: Are We Really What We Eat?
4. Carbohydrates: Plant-Derived Energy Nutrients
4.5: In-Depth: Alcohol
5. Lipids: Essential Energy-Supplying Nutrients
6. Proteins: Crucial Components of All Body Tissues
6.5 In-Depth: Alcohol
7. Metabolism: From Food to Life
7.5: In-Depth: Vitamins and Minerals: Micronutrients with Macro Powers
8. Nutrients Involved in Energy Metabolism
9. Nutrients Involved in Fluid and Electrolyte Balance
10. Nutrients Involved in Antioxidant Function and Vision
10.5: In-Depth: Phytochemicals
11. Nutrients Involved in Bone Health
12. Nutrients Involved in Blood Health and Immunity
13. Achieving and Maintaining a Healthful Body Weight
13.5 In-Depth: Disordered Eating
14. Nutrition and Physical Activity: Keys to Good Health
15. Consumer Issues: Food Safety, Production, and Impact on the Environment
16. Nutrition Through the Life Cycle: Pregnancy and the First Year of Life
17. Nutrition Through the Life Cycle: Childhood and Adolescence
18. Nutrition Through the Life Cycle: The Later Years
19. Global Nutrition
Answers to Review Questions
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Package ISBN-13: 9780321959638
Includes this title packaged with:
- Modified MasteringNutrition with MyDietAnalysis with Pearson eText -- ValuePack Access Card -- for The Science of Nutrition, 3rd Edition
Janice J. Thompson, Melinda Manore, Linda Vaughan
$197.80 | Add to Cart
Format: Alternate Binding
This item has been upgraded to The Science of Nutrition, 4th Edition.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$86.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-90899-5
$86.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-86500-7
$54.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-90655-7
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$80.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-88742-9
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$134.53 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-88745-0