Bring introductory nutrition into focus with a functional approach.
The Science of Nutrition, Third Edition offers the best combination of text and media to help students master the toughest nutrition concepts in the course, while providing the richest support to save instructors time. This thoroughly current, research-based nutrition text is uniquely organized around the highly-regarded applied approach, which organizes vitamins and minerals based on their functions within the body and is easily seen in the organization of the micronutrient (vitamin and mineral) chapters. Rather than requiring rote memorization, the authors present the micronutrients based on their functions (such as fluid and electrolyte balance, antioxidant function, bone health, energy metabolism, and blood health and immunity), so that students can fully understand their effects on the body.
The Third Edition further helps students master nutrition content both in text and online. Ten New Focus Figure visuals walk students through the toughest nutrition concepts in the course, making difficult physiological processes easier to understand. These same Focus Figures are also available as assignable, gradable coaching activities with hints and wrong answer feedback within MasteringNutrition™. Expanded in-text and Mastering math activities provide students with math review and practice, and help better prepare the class while saving instructors time.
Teaching and Learning Experience
This program will provide a better teaching and learning experience—for you and your students. Here’s how:
- Clarify Tough Topics: The functional approach, unique In-Depth chapters, and Focus Figures all work together to bring clarity to concepts that are hard to understand.
- Boost Critical Thinking: You do the Math, Nutritional Label activities, See for Yourself, Nutrition Myth or Fact?, and Nutri-Case features encourage students to think critically about nutrition.
- Extend Learning: The new MasteringNutrition delivers proven results in helping students succeed, provides engaging experiences that personalize learning, and comes from a trusted partner with educational expertise and a deep commitment to helping students and instructors achieve their goals.
- Support Instructors: Robust instructor tools, including the Instructor Resource DVD and Test Bank, help you plan your lecture and assess your students.
Table of Contents
1. The Science of Nutrition: Linking Food, Function, and Health
2. Designing a Healthful Diet
3. The Human Body: Are We Really What We Eat?
4. Carbohydrates: Plant-Derived Energy Nutrients
4.5: In-Depth: Alcohol
5. Lipids: Essential Energy-Supplying Nutrients
6. Proteins: Crucial Components of All Body Tissues
6.5 In-Depth: Alcohol
7. Metabolism: From Food to Life
7.5: In-Depth: Vitamins and Minerals: Micronutrients with Macro Powers
8. Nutrients Involved in Energy Metabolism
9. Nutrients Involved in Fluid and Electrolyte Balance
10. Nutrients Involved in Antioxidant Function and Vision
10.5: In-Depth: Phytochemicals
11. Nutrients Involved in Bone Health
12. Nutrients Involved in Blood Health and Immunity
13. Achieving and Maintaining a Healthful Body Weight
13.5 In-Depth: Disordered Eating
14. Nutrition and Physical Activity: Keys to Good Health
15. Consumer Issues: Food Safety, Production, and Impact on the Environment
16. Nutrition Through the Life Cycle: Pregnancy and the First Year of Life
17. Nutrition Through the Life Cycle: Childhood and Adolescence
18. Nutrition Through the Life Cycle: The Later Years
19. Global Nutrition
Answers to Review Questions
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Science of Nutrition, The, CourseSmart eTextbook, 3rd Edition
Format: Electronic Book
$65.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-88730-6