Table of Contents
I. BECOMING A SKILLED READER.
1. A Reading System for Skilled Readers
The Reading Process.
Textbook Skills: Before, During, and After Reading—Asking Questions and Recording Answers.
2. Vocabulary in Context.
The Importance of Words.
Context Clues: A SAGE Approach.
Textbook Skills: Visual Vocabulary.
3. Vocabulary-Building Skills.
Additional Word Parts.
Textbook Skills: Textbook Aids for Learning Content Words.
4. Topics and Main Ideas.
Textbook Skills: Topics in Headings.
5. Locating Stated Main Ideas.
The Flow of Ideas and Placement of Topic Sentences.
Textbook Skills: The Central Point and the Thesis Statement.
6. Implied Main Ideas.
An Introduction to Implied Main Ideas
Studying Supporting Details to Identify the State and Topic
Using Topics, Supporting Details, and Thought Patterns to Determine the Implied Main Idea.
Annotating the Paragraph to Determine the Implied Main Idea.
Creating a One-Sentence Summary from Supporting Details.
Textbook Skills: Pictures as Details.
7. Supporting Details, Outlines, and Concept Maps.
Questions for Locating Supporting Details.
Major and Minor Details.
Textbook Skills: Ideas from General to Specific: Creating a Summary.
8. Outlines and Concept Maps.
Textbooks Skills: The Table of Contents in a Textbook.
9. Transitions and Thought Patterns.
The Purpose of Transitions and Thought Patterns.
Transition Words: Relationships Within a Sentence.
Thought Patterns: Relationships Between Sentences.
Textbook Skills: Transitions and Clear Information.
10. More Thought Patterns.
Comparison and Contrast Patterns.
Cause and Effect Pattern.
The Generalization-and-Example. Pattern.
Textbook Skills: The Definition Pattern.
Final Note: Though Patterns and Textbooks.
Inferences: Educated Guesses.
What is a Valid Inference?
Making VALID Inferences and Avoiding Invalid Conclusions.
Thinking Through an Inference and Drawing Conclusions.
Textbook Skills: Inferences and Photos.
II. ADDITIONAL READINGS.
Fugitives Who Love Facebook
Work in the 21st Century
Somebody’s Gotta Get Hired, Right? 6 Tips to Help New Grads Land Jobs
Are Jobs Obsolete?
The Invisible Rich
Average Is Over
Junior Seau, Dead at 43
The Obesity Crisis
America’s Hatred of Fat Hurts Obesity Fight
III. COMBINED SKILLS TESTS.
Chapter Review Cards.
IV. READING ENRICHMENT
Appendix A: ESL Reading Tips.
Appendix B: Reading Graphics.
Appendix C: Word Parts.
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$54.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-88219-6
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$26.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-88058-1
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$44.67 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-88051-2