A sociological understanding of social problems.
Social Problems: A Down to Earth Approach, 11/e is a theoretically balanced text that provides the latest research and a consistent structure to help students analyze critical social problems facing the United States. The author presents both sides of an argument with a neutral voice and uses a "down-to-earth" writing style. By using this text, not only do students gain a sociological understanding of social problems, but also they are able to explore and evaluate their own opinions about specific social problems. They will gain a greater awareness of the social forces that shape their orientations to social problems and their perspectives on social life. The ideas in this book penetrate students’ thinking and help give shape to their views of the world.
MySocLab for Social Problems features an engaging student experience including an interactive eText, the New Core Concepts Video Series, the New Social Explorer.
Teaching & Learning Experience
- Personalize Learning – MySocLab is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment program. It helps students prepare for class and instructor gauge individual and class performance.
- Improve Critical Thinking – Thinking Critically About the Chapter – At the end of each chapter are several questions designed to help students evaluate what they have read. These questions also lend themselves well for stimulating class discussions.
- Engage Students –Opening Vignette – Intended to arouse student interest in the social problem and to stimulate the desire to read more, this brief opening story presents essential elements of the social problem.
- Explore Research –Spotlight on Research boxes – Major researchers in social problems share an insider's perspective of how they became interested in a social problem and how they did their research
- Explore Theory – The three basic theories – Symbolic interaction theory, functional theory, and conflict theory— are introduced early in the text; giving students the opportunity t immediately grasp the differences of these theories.
- Support Instructors – MySocLab, Instructor’s eText, Instructor’s Manual, Test Item File, Electronic “MyTest” Test Bank, PowerPoint Presentation Slides, and Pearson Custom course material are available.
Note: MySocLab does not come automatically packaged with this text. To purchase MySocLab, please visit: www.mysoclab.com or you can purchase a ValuePack of the text + NEW MySocLab (at no additional cost): ValuePack ISBN-10: 0205965121 / ValuePack ISBN-13: 9780205965120.
Table of Contents
BRIEF TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Chapter 1: How Sociologists View Social Problems: The Abortion Dilemma
Chapter 2: Interpreting Social Problems: Aging
Chapter 3: Social Problems Related to Sexual Behavior
Chapter 4: Alcohol and Other Drugs
Chapter 5: Violence in Society: Rape and Murder
Chapter 6: Crime and Criminal Justice
Chapter 7: Economic Problems: Poverty and Wealth
Chapter 8: Racial-Ethnic Relations
Chapter 9: Inequalities of Gender and Sexual Orientation
Chapter 10: Medical Care: Physical and Mental Illness
Chapter 11: The Changing Family
Chapter 12: Urbanization and Population
Chapter 13: The Environmental Crisis
Chapter 14: War, Terrorism, and the Balance of Power
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Package ISBN-13: 9780205963522
Includes this title packaged with:
- Solutions to Social Problems: Lessons From Other Societies, 5th Edition
D. Stanley Eitzen
$228.27 | Add to Cart
Package ISBN-13: 9780134309606
Includes this title packaged with:
- Solutions to Social Problems from the Bottom Up: Successful Social Movements
D. Stanley Eitzen, Kenneth Stewart
- Solutions to Social Problems From the Top Down: The Role of Government
D. Stanley Eitzen, George H. Sage
- NEW MySocLab with Pearson eText -- Valuepack Access Card
. . Pearson Education
$272.87 | Add to Cart
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$89.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-97070-4
$65.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-97069-8
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$78.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-96905-0
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$131.33 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-91559-0