Examining the significance of race, class, and gender in understanding social problems.
Social Problems in a Diverse Society uses critical thinking and personal narratives from real people to make the study of social problems interesting and relevant to today’s students.
This book focuses on the United States but also integrates discussion of global social problems.
Social Problems in a Diverse Society uses sociological perspectives to analyze current social problems. It offers a balanced approach and explores three classic paradigms and feminist theory.
A better teaching and learning experience
This program will provide a better teaching and learning experience–for you and your students. Here’s how:
- Personalize Learning– The new MySocLab delivers proven results in helping students succeed, provides engages experiences that personalize learning, and comes from a trusted partner with education expertise and a deep commitment to helping students and instructors achieve their goals.
- Improve Critical Thinking–Critical thinking questions found at the beginning and end of every chapter help students use the sociological imagination.
- Engage Students–Personal narratives and the author’s conversational tone pull students into the topics.
- Explore Theory–The text’s balanced approach encourages students to use many contemporary theoretical perspectives to analyze social problems.
- Support Instructors–A full set of supplements, including an Instructor’s Manual, Test Bank, and PowerPoint presentation, provide instructors with the support they need.
Note: MySocLab does not come automatically packaged with this text. To purchase MySocLab, please visit:
www.mysoclab.com or you can purchase a valuepack of the text + MySocLab (at no additional cost): ValuePack ISBN-10: 0205877893 / ValuePack ISBN-13: 9780205877898.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Studying Social Problems in the Twenty-First Century
Chapter 2 Wealth and Poverty: U.S. and Global Economic Inequities
Chapter 3 Racial and Ethnic Inequality
Chapter 4 Gender Inequality
Chapter 5 Inequality Based on Age
Chapter 6 Inequality Based on Sexual Orientation
Chapter 7 Prostitution, Pornography, and the Sex Industry
Chapter 8 Alcohol and Other Drugs
Chapter 9 Crime and Criminal Justice
Chapter 10 Health Care: Problems of Physical and Mental Illness
Chapter 11 The Changing Family
Chapter 12 Problems in Education
Chapter 13 Problems in Politics and the Global Economy
Chapter 14 Problems in the Media
Chapter 15 Population, Global Inequality, and the Environmental Crisis
Chapter 16 Urban Problems
Chapter 17 Global Social Problems: War and Terrorism
Chapter 18 Can Social Problems Be Solved?
$32.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-92111-9
$65.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-15291-9
$89.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-15299-5
Digital + Print
$126.67 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-24973-2
$113.33 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-86732-5